Chapter 2: I Would

As soon as Kai's professor enters the room, he immediately announces an activity that will occur for a month and will be conducted by pairs. Kai lets out a sigh as she writes down his guidelines.

I'm not really good at socializing and dealing with other people, so this is making me really anxious. Please let it be Chan or another person that is kind and diligent. Please, please, please, dear universe, let me be lucky just this once.

"I have posted your partners on the bulletin board outside. Just check it after class." Professor Jung said, the other students just nod at him, and then he started talking about today's lesson.

"Phobia is an irrational and excessive fear of an object or situation. In most cases, phobia involves a sense of endangerment or a fear of harm. For example, acrophobia can range from fear whenever the person is on the top floor of a tall building to fear standing on a chair. People with acrophobia feel a sense of panic when they're at a certain height and often become unable to trust their sense of balance..."

After hearing his introduction to the new lesson, an incident 10 years ago begins to replay inside Kai's head without her permission.

flashback

"You think Mom would like our surprise gift?"

I nod excitedly, "Of course, Dad, she'll love it. Especially it's from us."

Dad levels his body to mine while smiling at me widely.

"What is it, dad? Did I say something wrong?"

He shakes his head, "It's just I can't help it but think that your existence is really a blessing to us, Kai." Dad said, and then he plants a kiss on my forehead.

"I'm grateful to dad and mom because you guys are my parents."

Dad stands up and pats my head affectionately, he smiles at me again, and then he takes my hand, "Let's go home. Mom is waiting for us."

I nod at him while smiling widely. We begin to walk, but a guy in a hurry bumps into us, and his belongings fall to the ground.

My father and I saw the jewelry and a knife that is now lying on the floor. Upon seeing them, dad immediately tries to grab me, but the guy quickly gets me first and then the knife from the floor.

"Dad!" I started crying.

"Please let my daughter go. Please take me instead."

"Shut up!" He shouted at my father.

The guards of the mall appear beside my dad, and they can't make a single move.

"If you guys try to make anything funny, I will stab this child." He said, pointing the knife at me.

"Bad mister!" I said, then I bit his finger, "Give me back to my dad."

The man groaned and almost dropped me, "Behave, or else I'll cut your tongue." He said, then he places me over the railings.

I look down and see how high my current position is. I thought I would fall, but fortunately, he's just threatening us, and he's still not letting go of my arms. I can feel my body shaking so badly.

I look at my father, "I'm scared... I'm scared. Dad, please save me."

"What do you want? I'll give you anything. Just don't hurt my daughter. Please, I'm begging you."