Chapter 16: Letting Go

They went inside, and then the Chan from the other universe explains everything to Kai while fixing Jisung's watch.

This is as unbelievable as my encounter with the other dimension Jisung in my dreams. How is advance their knowledge and technology that they are capable of producing gadgets like that watch? Everything he said doesn't make sense, but at the same time, they do. There are two souls in one body for the past three months, so whom among the two did I fall in love with? Wait, I shouldn't be concerned with this right now. Will Jisung in this world and the other be alright? Kai thought to herself while looking at Jisung worriedly.

Chan notices it, but he shifts his gaze back to the watch before speaking, "Don't worry, both of them would be alright. Are you perhaps familiar with the Dissociative Identity Disorder?"

Kai nods, "Yeah, when individual experiences have separate identities, and those changes take control over the body or behavior of the person at various times."

"The situation is somehow similar to that. A dimension traveler's time is limited when it comes to borrowing the body of another version of him. If that person didn't obey the protocol just like what our Jisung did, he could be stuck in the subconsciousness of the body he has borrowed and forget his real identity, or worse, he could cease to exist. While the real owner of the person, which is your Jisung, on the other hand, wouldn't remember anything that has happened while his body is being possessed, his experiences are similar to the term dissociative amnesia. The body of our Jisung is currently in the state of comatose, but he'll be back once I finish fixing this," Chan calmly said.

Kai only manages to nod after listening to his explanation. A few minutes after that, Kai excuses herself to get something to drink while Chan is still putting the parts of the watch back to their respective places.

Chan presses a button on the watch, and then Jisung acts like he has been electrocuted, and then he opens his eyes.

"Chan?" Jisung asked. However, when his gaze falls on his watch, he realizes the identity of the person in front of him, "Chris, what are you doing here?"

"You were gone for a month, so I volunteered to track you down. Do you know how worried we are? We couldn't sleep, we couldn't eat, and we couldn't function properly. All of us keep blaming ourselves for not being able to make you stay, for introducing you to this field, and for letting you do the dangerous test experiments. Do you know how many universes I have to visit just to get to you? One hundred nine dimensions, and I was so close to giving up, but I'm really glad I didn't. Peter, how many times did I have to tell that exceeding the limit is extremely dangerous? Do you want your existence to be ceased? Is that your goal from the beginning?" Chan asked while clenching his fists.

"I'm sorry," Jisung said, looking down.

"If you're really sorry, come back home and stop being reckless. You are not a god, and you can't save everyone or even change their fate. Don't you realize that what you have been doing to every version of yourself is equivalent to stealing? You're robbing them of their lives. You shouldn't meddle in other people's businesses because destroying the balance of each world could make things complicated. You might just put them in danger without realizing it."

"You're right. I let my selfishness control me. I will come back to our world and never disturb the worlds anymore," Jisung said dejectedly.

In Chan's peripheral vision, he can see Kai rooted in her place.

"You should talk to Kai, and I fill her up with the things that she needs to know. I'll go first," Chan said, and then he taps Jisung's shoulder.

Chan stands up and then walks out of the door.