One 💕

Life had a twisted way of bringing people together. This story was mine.

------

That was it, I was so done with the race of people we call 'boys'.

Now I don't mean to offend anyone. For the most part, boys were mostly decent in their own way, but boys from Narven High, now that was another story.

Our hearts were treated as if they were paper planes, being passed on, interesting for the most part of a certain period of time, but thrown away after the day ended. Because they were replaceable. They were to easy to find, and certainly too worthless to keep.

The regular routine of the heartbreaking tradition usually involved beginning in January. Since most dares only lasted a month, January was the perfect month to start so that they could break our hearts on Valentine's Day.

Not one relationship in this entire school was real for the past five years.

The rules of the pact were quite simple, actually. You must get dared by the Quarterback to date a girl of his choice, you must make her fall in love with you before the time runs out, and finally, you must break her heart.

Actually, a long time ago, we had a normal school. An actual real school with real relationships. With real eyelash batting, or maybe sweaty palms, hair flicking, and also, crushes. But when the junior quarterback of the Football Team, Cole Braskise was dared by the senior quarterback to date head cheerleader Katie Smith, the game started. After breaking her heart, another male was dared to date another girl then breaking her heart and so forth.

The hallway was upbeat as usual, yet I could hear soft voices speaking, then an item made of what I presume to be glass being smashed down the corridor, and finally tears. Another heart. My vision froze. It was Lauren, Lauren my childhood best friend, Lauren my ultimate partner-in-crime, Lauren, my ex-best friend.

My stomach twisted in pity as I witnessed the streaks of tears evident on her face. Hurt written along the lines. I knew this would happen. Lauren, I believed would make history, the first to make the player lose. The two of us had vowed never to fall in love with a player, and since she was the first out of the two of us, I knew she would push through, but yet, she had been confident to say that Will was different, and now here we were.

She stood beside me while I calmly took my books for my next period.

"You were right." Her face, all red, filled with tears that seemed to be different. "You always were."

I smiled. "I know."

"I hope you can," She breathes, fidgeting nervously with the corner of her shirt. "forgive me?"

"Of course, Laurs." I laughed. "Stupid boys won't win."

Unsurprisingly, four hearts were broken this week. Lauren's being the fourth. It was really only a matter of time the next victim was chosen, and the next games of playing started.

After all, it was January.

As we entered the math room, we could see the distinct division between the two groups that held up the school. On one side, were the boys huddled up simultaneously congratulating Will on his 'achievement', whilst pointing out possible options of the 'new' girls to hit on. On his left were about two boys I didn't recognize. They were the next batch of players. I made a mental note to watch out for either of them. To his right, was the current quarterback, and the alpha in deciding the next group, Darren. On the other, were the girls, faces puffy and red, others patting each other on the back, the rest, praying they wouldn't be next.

Honestly, the strangest part about the dares was that the girls were all well aware of the conditions, the rules, and the game. Yet we all still manage to go along with it, until we all, in fact, become the ones that get twisted around until it's too late.

Teachers at this school value their jobs, and when something could interfere with their paycheck, they'd much rather ignore several things they've heard, or seen to keep their jobs.

Honestly, boys at Narven High were stupid, but girls that studied here, they were even dumber.

"Morning Cla--" Mr. Harrold greets. "Oh dear."

That was right. Whenever the boys were huddled up in the room, they were checking and observing each girl and choosing.

Choosing the next dare.

The next nightmare.

The next broken heart.

And how do I know it will end in a broken heart?

Easy. It always does. No matter how confident the girl seems at first, she will always fall head over heels over the guy and be madly in love. The boys in our school are players, and no matter how hard you try, players will always be players and they'll never change, not unless it isn't buried deep in their heart yet. Some boys can be saved, others are a lost cause.

Lauren glared at Will who just shrugged, pointed and laughed, like what he had just done was right and completely acceptable. It was to the boys, not to us girls.

I will have revenge on you losers. I just need one to pick me, so I get played on. I'm unmoveable, I won't fall, I'll make that bet lose.

A smile played on my lips, I will be so ready for you