Prologue

The school buses were late. All the kids were gathered in the gym. Paul looked around for someone to hang out with.

"Can anyone tell some jokes? Sing? Please do something." The principal said into the microphone.

A blonde kid made his way up to the stage and whispered into the principal's ear. He nodded and handed the microphone to the kid.

When he opened his mouth, a sweet voice came out. He sang Nat King Cole's, Too Young. All the kids including Paul were in ah.

The kid's eyes sparkled like the sun reflecting off of a lake. His smile was bright. He gripped onto the microphone, escalating to the chorus.

The boy finished the song and hopped off the stage. He didn't leave without saying a quick 'thank you.' He took out his notebook and sat down.

The kid could sing! Paul couldn't, well not very well at least, but he could write well.

Paul didn't know what to say to him, so he just stayed right where he was. The kid didn't seem to move from the spot he was in; he just seemed to be writing something in the tiny notebook.

It was time to leave; Paul had not said one word to the kid. He had not planned on talking to him, and he didn't. He walked onto his bus.

***

Paul walked over to the mostly empty candy store. He was looking for the comic book he liked to read. There was a new one out.

He caught sight of the blonde kid again. The candy man snatched something out of his hands. Paul could see the disappointment in his eyes, poor guy.

Paul looked down at the box of comics laying on the shelf to not get caught. Of course, he felt terrible for him

"Why'd you take those away from him?" Paul asked the candy man as he made it to the counter.

"He comes in here every week and shakes the box, buying the one that has the most in them." He shrugged.

"Hmmm." Paul picked up his comic book.

He did not want to argue with the man, but he found it stupid that he took the candy away from him.

He was trying to find an excellent package.

***

The graduation play. Paul was excited; he was playing the white rabbit. He got to say the familiar phrase, 'I'm late, I'm late for a very important date.'

This was the first time Paul spoke to the blonde boy. He was playing the Cheshire Cat. He thought about what he should say.

He walked up to him, tapped his shoulder, and said, "Hello, I'm Paul."

The boy responded awkwardly, "I'm Art."

"Do you like music?" Paul asked.

"Of course." Art smiled at him.

"Did you hear that song on the radio?" Paul asked.

"Which-Which one, there are so many." Art struggled to get his words out.

"Ummm, Tony Bennett's Rags to Riches." Paul shrugged.