Apart

"You're just so far away." Art whined into the phone.

After they had finished Bridge Over Troubled Water, they called quits on Simon and Garfunkel; to focus on their relationship. Continuing Simon and Garfunkel were only tearing them apart.

Paul went out on his own once they broke up. Paul was writing a slew of songs; all with a new sound. Right now Paul was out playing on his own. Art was left behind in their apartment.

While Paul was away, Art would play the guitar Paul left behind and sing as if he was Paul. Art missed having Paul by his side.

Paul had been gone for a week now. Art had called him every night after a gig to hear at least his voice.

"How did it go? I know last night was a little rough." Art twisted the phone cord.

"Surprisingly, well. The crowds have been asking where you are." Paul's voice crumbled.

"I'm sure they are, we split so suddenly." Art took a sip of his water to dull the pain. "And I disappeared."

"You chose not to sing anymore," Paul said.

"I know, I want to settle and have children with you. I chose to lay my career to rest." Art sighed. "It's better this way."

"If you want to kickstart a solo career you should," Paul suggested.

"No, I want to be home with the kids," Art said with content.

"That will be a little while, Artie." Paul took a drag of his newly lit cigarette.

"I know, but I'm just done with it. I mean fame. I will still sing as a hobby, but no more career." Art sighed.

"I'll be home soon," Paul revealed. Art smiled on the other end of the phone. It was hard to spend even a week away from Paul.

Paul set the phone down, laying on his side. He closed his eyes to get some semblance of sleep. The gig was in the afternoon the next day, and Paul had no time to goof around.

Being away from home didn't lift the stress off Paul's shoulders like he thought it would. The silence rang in Paul's ear; what silence he got.

"I'm not ready to deal with this tonight." Paul rolled his eyes allowing the shadow to move toward him.

"Rough couple of shows. I see you regret splitting from Art after all."

"I don't. It's so liberating to be able to write what I want and be in complete control."

"You miss him."

"I do." Paul found himself constantly looking to the right of him and expecting to see Art standing there. It was just a space of air with no one beside him. "You know we were falling apart."

"But you can stand being in a house with him 24/7."

"It's different we aren't making music."

"It'll be just like when you were Tom and Jerry."

"No, he understands that I want to go on my own. There are no secrets this time. Why do I think of these things?"

"I don't know you tell me."

"You are me. You should be the one to understand my situation the most. You lived through it with me."

"I can't help you shut down." The shadow said his peace and disappeared.

Paul migrated over to the phone. Dialing Art once more.

"We need to figure this out, Artie." Paul sat on the bed. "We need to let everything out. I have just ended up hiding from you, so I don't have to confront my feelings."