Take Me Home, Country Roads

Paul was lured back to the United States by success. Him and Art's recording of the Sound of Silence, from their failed album Wednesday Morning 3 am, got dubbed with a folk-rock backing and it soared on the charts. Paul didn't know how to feel about it, but he couldn't ignore the success and he went back to the states.

In London, Paul ended up singing out on the streets, trying to catch the attention of a passerby. Sadly, no one cared. Eventually, his time was up in London, to his dismay. On the bright side, he got to reunite with Artie. 

Art had made an offer for Paul to stay with him while he saved up for an apartment, also he thought it would be best so they could make it to the studio in time. Art had issues with waking up early and he thought Paul could help. Without thought Paul took the offer.

While staying with Art, Paul began feeling that tingling feeling people feel when they have a crush on someone. Paul couldn't even look at Art without feeling that feeling. I couldn't possibly have a crush on him, could I?

Paul wanted to deny his feelings, so he buried them deep down inside of him. He was trying so hard, that he often wouldn't even laugh at Art's jokes in fear of the feeling coming back. After they got home from wherever they were, Paul would go into his room and lock himself inside. Art often spent his time listening to Paul's guitar weep.

Art thought he did something to that hurt or angered Paul. Art knew Paul well enough that he knew Paul would make it evident if something was wrong. Art was more likely to keep his feelings bottled up.

It was another day of Art just staring at the white door that hid Paul from him. Art leaned in close, his ear right up against the door. Instead of hearing Paul's guitar, he heard speaking. Who could he possibly be talking to?

"I can't tell him, it'll ruin our friendship," Paul told the shadow.

"If you haven't done that enough." The shadow tormented Paul.

"Why do you have to do me like this?" Paul frowned.

"You ask too many questions." The shadow stated.

"Isn't asking questions a good thing?" Paul asked.

"If you ask the wrong questions it gets you into muddy water." The shadow replied.

Paul ground his teeth, "You know what, this isn't what we were talking about. I just can't do it, not yet."

"This again, you can't hide forever." The shadow uttered.

Paul's voice weakened, "He probably doesn't even love me back."

"You never know." The shadow smirked.

"Oh, I do know he's straight." Paul swallowed hard.

"Well, I am not a fortune teller." The shadow giggled curling around Paul. It peaked at the words Paul had just scribbled down.

I feel as if I am drowning
My head six feet under,
The past flooding in
Destroying the gates,
Deep dark corners now illuminated
All secrets revealed ,
A nightmare that never ends
A dream I cannot escape.

The shadow glared at Paul unimpressed.

"It's not about you!" Paul's voice trembled as he tried to lie.

The shadow grew, turning the walls from white to pitch black. As the shadow grew, Paul fear grew with it.

"You know you will never find someone to love if you write about them like that, you never wrote about Kathy that way!" The shadow howled; the scream bounced off all four walls of Paul's room.

"Don't bring Kathy into this, I didn't mean any harm!" Paul screamed.

"I hate it when people say that!" The shadow screamed.

"I was getting my feelings on paper!" Paul cried.

"You never wrote about Art that way either, oh right you never had to he's just the perfect angel isn't he?" The shadow screeched plunging Paul further into the darkness of his mind.

Art on the other side heard Paul's cries and pleads. I have to get in there someway! Art rushed into the kitchen and sifted through the unorganized silverware drawer. He found just what he was he was looking for a butter knife.

Art stuck the knife in the lock. He fiddled with it for a while but got in. He saw Paul in tears, curled up in a ball on the floor.

Through the darkness, Paul spotted a figure. His eyes focused a bit more, it was Art.

"Artie!" Paul held out his arms.

Art fell into Paul's arms."What's going on, did you take LSD or something?" He tried comprehending why Paul was so distressed.

Paul's mouth went dry, he couldn't answer without sounding like a complete nutjob. He stayed silent, letting his tears fall silently down his face, and feeling the warmth of Art's hug.

"Why aren't you answering me, I've been so worried about you!" Art's voice went up two octaves.

"You wouldn't believe me." Paul crossed his arms.

Art found a memory he'd thought he lost in the depths of his mind, Paul once told him that this shadow was following him around. It was his past or something. Of course, Art didn't believe him.

"Paul-"

Art was interrupted by Paul slamming his lips into his. Art's eyes widened in shock. He pulled back immediately.

"What was that for?" Art asked astonished by Paul's risky action.

"I...I love you." Paul admitted, his heart about to explode.

"I don't know how to answer this." Art scratched his arm.

"Do you love...love me back?" Paul asked.

"Not....not, in that..that way I love as a friend and even a brother, but not a lover." Art admitted.

Paul's heart broke into two pieces, his tears coming back. He quickly pulled away from Art's embrace.

"That is why I never wanted to tell you because I knew you wouldn't love me back." Paul cried.

"I might not love you now, but I might love you one day." Art smiled.

"Go away!" Paul screamed.

Art looked at Paul with pity, but he obeyed his orders. Paul was left to his own thoughts. The shadow reappeared.

"I told you so," Paul said, his voice breaking.