one.

June

The car parks into our new driveway and my eyes immediately go to scale the house. It's not as big as our old house, but not too small. The bricks seem faded and the wooden door has scratches on the frame. My dad and I walk inside and I take the chance to look around for the first time. There are wooden floors throughout the entire bottom floor and the kitchen is relatively large with an island.

"So?" My dad asks, looking at me. "What do you think?"

"It's fine," I answer.

"Just 'fine'?"

I turn around and sigh. I can tell my dad wants more from me, but I don't know what else to say. This house is nothing more to me than where I'm sleeping.

"I like it."

My dad smiles and goes to grab some things from the car.

"The movers are coming soon, so figure out where you want your room to be."

I nod and go to look at the upstairs floor.

_____

Moving was worse than I imagined. It took several hours and there was no amount of begging I could do for my dad to let me leave. My main excuse was that I wanted to explore the new city, but he just stared at me until I kept helping. Only a few hours later did he let me leave.

Now I sit in a small cafe with a map of the city displayed on my phone. I've driven around a few times and this coffee shop is the only thing that's peaked my interest. The sign reads: Lefty's Cafe.

I've ordered a coffee to keep me awake the rest of the day. There's still more unpacking I have to do.

As soon as I'm about to get up to leave, a short girl with black hair walks through the door. She has her phone in her hand and immediately puts it in her pocket when she walks up to the desk. I hear her order some tea for here. She goes to the other side of the counter and waits. A bored expression is on her face as she scrolls through her phone that she got back out. Her face never changes as she grabs her tea and sits down at a table near mine.

"Can I help you?" She asks without looking up from her phone.

I didn't realize she could feel my eyes on her and I blush.

"Sorry, I'm Jasper."

She looks me up and down. Her dark eyes travel from my coffee to my vans to my dark hair. She sends a smirk, not quite a smile.

"I'm Melissa."