eighteen.

August

Driving to her house was never a good idea. Seeing her was even worse. I just couldn't get her out of my brain. She was a drug I didn't want to be high off of. The way she felt through my veins sent me on a high so high, coming down hurt like hell.

Melissa's broken down home always stuck with me. I could never imagine such a pretty face living in such a shitty house. My perfect future was one where I could take her somewhere far, far away from here. I'd get a job and a house that was fit for a queen, because she was mine.

The broken door handle was cold against my touch as I rang it. Timid footsteps were heard until, finally, that angel face opened the door. My only concern was what would happen when she opened her mouth. Because then, and only then, did she really become a devil.

"Why are you here?"

Her brown eyes stare back at me like usual, with no emotion. Mine have always been the opposite. What really sucks is that all that emotion was caused by her; pain.

"Seeing you with him hurt me more than it should," I start, not waiting for her to carry a conversation because I know I would turn around and never tell her what I need to. "But what sucks more is that I relate to the poor guy. You'll let guys fall for you and I never know if I'm next. You put yourself into these scenarios because you love the thrill of getting out of them. You thrive off of seeing them hurt by your words of disinterest. It makes you feel empowered, like you're finally getting revenge on that one guy that hurt you by hurting the rest of the male species. But it's not power that you want, it's recognition that you got hurt. But you would never let us know that. Instead, you'd shove it away to feel at night because the real world will always be too much for you."

Her cold stare melts a little, but for only a second. Once that minuscule amount of time is over, it's back to before. Her hip sinks in a bit lower, her arms cross a bit tighter, and her eyes become more and more emotionless than before.

"Get off my property, Redwood."

I do.