Chapter 18

*Michael's POV*

Here I am, watching from the sidelines how two parents fight for their child. Half a year ago, no one seemed interested in him and now this... I do feel for Niall. Normally I'd try to cheer him up, but none of them are giving him some time to himself.

It's sad to watch, whenever Harry takes Niall to the park, Gemma takes him to the zoo, which leads into Harry taking the blond boy to a theme park...They are trying to buy his love instead of earning it. When they aren't trying to beat the other parent, they are trying to make the other one look bad. I have to say, Harry hasn't been involved in this, but Gemma... Wow.... And no matter how hard Niall is trying not to believe it, she is planting that seed of doubt in his mind and it's awful to watch...

"You know, I have always loved you Ni. Harry on the other had. He never truly loved you, he just sees taking care of you as a job. That's it. You know you are better off with me. I'm your mum, I know you. You giving me this chance to get to know you better proves it."

"Whatever you say Gemma."

"Ni, when are you going to stop calling me Gemma... Just call me mum."

"No can do Gemma.", Niall rolls his eyes and walks further away from his mum. It seriously pains me to see him like this.

"Niall, I'm telling you to call me mum and you will listen to me!"

"What will you do otherwise Gemma? Leave me alone... oh wait... Been there, done that.", He sasses at her and I can't help but chuckle at that.

"I have had it with your attitude young man, you will listen to me and love me! If you can't do that I will teach you some manners mister. I made mistakes, but that doesn't mean you should behave like a twat! Harry obviously wasn't a good influence on you. I'll fix it, the old fashion way."

"What does that mean Gemma? No matter what you do, I will never love you. I. Hate. You! Got it. Did you put that in that drunken head of yours?"

Her hand flies hard against his cheek, the sound reverberating through the street. People around them stop to look at the young boy and the ragged looking woman, standing face to face. One with crazed madness in her eyes, the other with tears in his eyes and a shocked expression on his face. His face then flames with anger.

"If you ever come near me again, I will call the police and let them take you away for child abuse. You got that!", The blond boy turns around and starts running as fast as his feet can carry him. I run after him, not ever losing him out of my sight. He doesn't stop for half an hour. When he realizes she hasn't followed him he slumps against the wall and cries. His shoulders shake and sobs leave his mouth. I walk over to him, pull him in my lap and hand him my phone. It's his choice whether he uses it or not and if he uses it who to call.

"Uncle Harry... Can you please come and get me. Please?", He softly cries into the phone and I hold him even closer. Niall is someone who deserves happiness, yet here he is... Heartbroken and small, lost and insecure...

"She hit me uncle Harry... My own mum... Please."

Not much later Harry arrives and pecks me on the lips, then scoops Niall up from my lap and hugs him close. It's such a different Harry than the one I got to know. My love for both boys grows each day, something I'm really grateful for. At least now I get to experience real love once in my life.

Niall holds on to Harry, crying in his shoulder, begging his uncle to never let him go with his mum. His tears are flowing from his eyes on Harry's shirt, but both boys don't seem to realise. It's amazing how their relationship has grown. If the judge decides to take Niall away from Harry he is dead wrong and I will do everything within my power to right that wrong. For now I'm being positive. We have enough proof to show that Gemma is unfit to be a proper mum.