Chapter Six

The student information book had Kokichi's address in it. Kaito didn't know whether it was a good thing or not that he'd remembered the exact address from the page. Either way, he knew he was glad he had.

Taking a step forward, Kaito reached for Kokichi's front door and knocked twice. Nobody came. Frowning, Kaito knocked again. He waited a bit but nobody came then either.

Everyone has a backdoor though. It wasn't really the place you were supposed to knock at, but Kaito was desperate. Circling around the house, Kaito knocked on the backdoor. Still, nobody came.

Letting out a sigh, Kaito shook his head in defeat. He should have been expecting that. Turning around to leave, Kaito let out a noise of surprise as he tripped and fell forward into the snow. Turning around to see what had tripped him, Kaito was met with a scarf.

The scarf was covered with blood and laying in a helpless bundle in the snow. Even with the red tint over the design though, Kaito could easily see the checkered pattern that laid on it. Kokichi wore that scarf to school everyday.

Eyes widening, Kaito stood up and felt even more fear as he saw the footprints that led from the scarf to a small shed to the side of the house. Kaito didn't let the fear weigh him down, and rushed for the shed.

As soon as he had a hold of the shed door, he swung it open, his heart skipping a beat at what he saw.

Kokichi Ouma, the strange classmate from school was covered in bruises, head to toe, laying helplessly on the floor of the shack. Not to mention he was only wearing a thin layer of white, something people would wear in the summer. Not a good fashion choice unless you were looking for hypothermia. 

"Kokichi..?" Kaito questioned, unsure if what he was seeing was true.

"Don't look at me.." He heard the smaller boy whisper. Turning slightly over to where Kaito could fully see Kokichi's tired face, he spoke again. "Close it," He ordered, though from the tone of voice it was more of a beg.

"N-no! You'll catch a cold in here!" Kaito exclaimed, taking off his star-covered jacket and reaching forward to put it on Kokichi.

"Stay away from me!" The injured boy yelled, causing Kaito to jump back in surprise. A few second passed of Kokichi obviously trying to hold back tears, and Kaito watching helplessly.

"Huh? What's wrong, Kokichi?" Kaito turned to see an older woman standing directly behind him. She had a similar appearance to Kokichi, being relatively short, having pale skin, and the same purple eyes. However, an unhinged smile was set on her face, making it impossible to think that this could ever be Kokichi's parent figure.

Kokichi visible eye widened at the sound of the voice, a look of fear being brought upon his face.

"You're in here alone again?" The woman continued, ignoring Kokichi's distress at her existence. Kaito felt anger rush through his body as he looked at the woman.

"She did this," A voice whispered in Kaito's mind.

The woman took a step towards the shack, pushing Kaito out of the way and into the snow. "Get in the house right now," She ordered, that weird smile still on her lips. Kokichi struggled to get up, and the woman ended up dragging him all together.

Kaito pulled himself out of the snow, and watched as Kokichi was pulled towards the house, legs shaking from the pain of walking.

"Hey!" He shouted, "How did Kokichi get hurt like that?" The three all sat in silence, waiting for someone else to answer.

Slowly, the woman leaned down to Kokichi's ear and spoke in a hushed voice, but not in one Kaito couldn't hear, "Answer him, Kokichi " She said, eerily stroking his head.

There was silence again until the smaller boy spoke up. "I fell." The two started to walk away, and Kaito watched unable to speak or move. The wanna-be astronaut couldn't find the words to answer Kokichi's sad lie.

As the boy walked away, he refused to look at Kaito. That didn't make him feel any more confident on how to save Kokichi Ouma. 

(A/N : I'm sorry for the short chapter! I really wanted to end it like that but didn't know how to make it any longer. 

Also, sorry for the lack of updates for so long. I sort of lost the spirit of the story and didn't know how to continue. Since you've probably already hit tons of April Fools Pranks, here's some actual content! (Even if it sort of trashy) )