14: Olympus Mons Touge - PT 3

Takumi took it easy with the eight-six for now as they went through the first hairpin, limiting his redline to 9,000 for now. Clarence and Sal passed, but they weren't able to pull away. Takumi didn't want to push the engine just yet. Even though the rev limit was 14,000 on this new engine. Besides, he needed to see what the competition had to offer.

"Takumi, be careful!" Manuel said over the speaker in his helmet. "We're up against some very serious opponents, don't take any chances!"

"I know, Manuel. Don't worry, I'll be fine..." Takumi replied as they went through a light curve after the hairpin.

"No, Takumi!" Manuel snapped back. "You don't get it! They are using some very powerful tech in their cars! Sal is using a twin-charging system, and Clarence has a triple-rotoary!"

"That explains the engine sound..." Takumi said, continuing to drive, noticing Clarence and Sal were starting to pull away slightly on the straights. Takumi was able to easily catch up, though, as his opponents had to slow down much more in the corners due to their speed in the straightaways. Takumi then saw the gap in Clarence and Sal's techniques. Clarence's car was using a strict grip-strategy, slowing down a lot more in the corners and using the brakes much more than he should. Sal was the complete opposite, throwing the car out sharply at each corner as if in obligation, sacrificing the rubber on his tires! Takumi could tell this would even his odds at winning, despite the engine differences.

Takumi manuvered the Eight-Six so it was straight at Clarence's rear bumper, putting pressure on his opponent. It was a risky move, but Takumi needed to see if putting on the pressure would goad Clarence into making a mistake. He knew this wasn't the usual way he did things, but it was necessary.

Clarence didn't respond too well to being tailed, and tried to throttle out at a corner. His car started to go into a tailspin, and Takumi passed him! Clarence barely recovered, but his recovery was too late to stop Takumi from passing!

"Good Move!" Ryoske said over the radio. "All that's left now is passing Sal! You should be able to get passed him in the five consecutive hairpins on this course, like you pass others on Akina. Stick to the plan, and this will be in the bag."

"So you guys had a plan after all..." Manuel said. "Good, that' s reassuring."

Takumi drove the eight-six, pushing his technique a little harder, and closed the gap between him and Sal. They were not far from the five hairpins. Takumi had studied the course, and paid extra attention on their drive up. Through the five hairpins, there were drainage gutters like on Akina, so he could use his signature "Gutter-run" technique! But could he pass Sal without tipping him off?

Takumi had no choice as they started to come up on the hairpins. He would have to use his other trade mark move, the Blind Attack!

As they went into the hairpins, Takumi turned off his headlights, focusing on Sal and the line ahead of him! He could Tell Sal was uneasy, as he attempted to quicken his pace, and throw out the car more as they went through the corners and came up on the hairpins!

Takumi then dropped his tires in the gutter, and poured on the gas, turning on his headlights when he was alongside Sal! The technique worked, as Takumi switched form third to fourth gear exiting the corner! He now had the lead! It was time to widen the gap. Takumi then started to rev the BEAMS engine up to it's red line of 14,000 RPMs, greatly extending his acceleration and the gap between him and his opponents!

"YES! Go, Takumi!" Itsuki yelled!

Takumi saw that he was still widening the gap! He was getting way far out in front! The curves began to widen more in width, depth, and arc! Eventually, Takumi didn't need to drift anymore! The corners were too wide! He saw Clarence and Sal starting to close the gap, but not quick enough. Takumi got to the bottom of the pass, and crossed the finish line long before they were able to catch up! He had won! The crowd at the finish went into a wild cheer as Takumi stopped the Eight-Six!

After he had stopped at the finish, he saw Throttle and Modo walk up. Their faces were in disbelief.

"What is it?" Takumi asked as he got out of the car. "It shouldn't be that surprising that I won..."

"It's not that, Takumi." Throttle said. "We're surprised because you just shattered the course record."

Takumi looked surprised. "Shattered how much?"

Modo motioned to the electric time board, and Takumi was left gaping at his time! He had indeed shattered the course record! By about 15 seconds!