16: Circuit Speed

The Next Day...

Brimstone Circuit...

Akio strapped into the Devil Z, ready to take on Brimstone Circuit. He looked over to see Tatsuya strapping into the Blackbird. Brimstone Circuit was was shaped similar to the Old Sarthe circuit at Le Mans raceway on earth, according to Manuel. Akio liked how that sounded, because he would be able to get plenty of speed on the straightaways. This should be a fairly straightforward race. The rules were simple: One lap around the circuit. Whichever team placed first would win their team 200 points. Second got 100, third got 75. Unfortunately, Akio and Tatsuya had to start last in a pack of twelve cars. But that wasn't going to be a big deal.

The countdown started... Three... Two... One...
GO!

Tatsuya and Akio threw their cars into gear, gunning their engines. The twin-turbo L-28 and Straight-6 Boxer screamed down the track, following their rivals!

They rocketed through the first few corners of the circuit, then onto a long curve, into the main straightaway, flying through the gears! They quickly approached 250 KM/H, as they screamed down the straight, passing their first six rivals with ease as they got through the first half of the pack!

# # # # # #

Manuel and Yuya watched on the camera feeds as Akio and Tatsuya tore through the bottom half! They were quickly working their way up in the positions!

"Remember, don't push the cars until the second half of the race!" Yuya cautioned over the pit radio. "We have to see what they have in store!"

"Don't worry." Akio said. "Z hasn't shown her true colors... yet."

"Agreed." Tatsuya said. "I've been using about 65% of Blackbird's power so far. This should be a snap."

Manuel watched as Akio and Tastsuya approached the end of the straight. There was a sharp right corner. They were already slowing down, going for the inside in a straight line, blowing through the corners like speeding bullets!

They were then on a long, but much more narrow straightaway. They kept their throttle under control in this section, as there were many tall trees around the curve that blocked the view of the next corners!

After the straight ended, they were confronted with a sharp left, that then straitened out into a sharp right! Akio and Tatsuya took care going through the corners, going for the best inside-outside strategy, cutting down the distance! They passed three more cars in the process!

"That's it! Keep it up!" Manuel said. "The only three in front of you now are two PTRE members and Team Overdrive's circuit leader!"

"Got it." Akio said. "We're coming up on the second half. Let's let 'em loose, Tatsuya!"

"Yes. Let's." Akio and Tatsuya then quit holding back, gunning the Blackbird and Devil Z up to full throttle. They ripped past the top-three in the next straightaway, then slowed down through a few medium curves. After that, it was a few more light curves and a straight shot to the finish! They approached their top speed on the last straight, then crossed the finish line! Tatsuya and Akio had won the circuit event!