Humble Beginnings

I walked along the road, shoes cut up and feet sore. My head was growing heavy and my vision was becoming blurry.  I looked to my left and saw the rich look down at me scornfully. I looked ahead and saw a bar. 

"Help." I whispered to myself. I hurried in as quickly as I could and bumped into a man. he turned around just as my feet gave out and I collapsed into his arms. "Help." I whispered again. Then my world went dark.

~The Next Morning~

I opened my eyes to warm sunlight. I looked around and found that I was in a tent. I heard someone come in and I sat up immediately. It was a man with freckles and a brown-haired ponytail and another man with a black-haired ponytail. 

"Calm down. You're safe here." the freckled man smiled warmly. I relaxed slightly.

 "What's you're name?" the black haired man asked. 

"Y/n." I reply. 

"Y/n." the freckled man repeated. I looked at him and smiled back at him. "I'm John Laurens and this is Alexander Hamilton." My gaze shifted to the black-haired man. 

"You're an orphan?" I asked. He nodded. "I'm an orphan, too." I said a little too excitedly. He chuckled softly. 

"If you're up it later, come and find us, okay Y/n?" John said. I nodded and with that, they left. I shifted myself so that I was sitting up to the side of the bed. I laced on my shoes, put on my jacket, and tied my hair into a ponytail. I stood up and my legs grew shaky. 

"You've got this Y/n." I assured myself. I walked steadily out of the tent and out among the soldiers. As I was walking down the row of tents, a group of soldiers whistled and cat-called. 

"Eyyy, beautiful." one of them called. I glared at them and kept walking. They began to follow me and call out. I turned around and glared. 

"Please leave me alone." One of the soldiers put one of his hands on my waist and I batted it away. "Get away." I turned again and began walking. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me back. "I'm not going to tell you again." A grin grew on his face and his grip grew tighter. I began to panic. 

"Hey!" A voice called out. I turned around and saw two other men, one with a beanie and the other with a dark brown ponytail walk over to us. "She said to leave her alone." the one with a beanie said menacingly. The soldier dropped my arm and stalked away with his posse. The man with the ponytail put a hand on my shoulder. 

"Are you alright?" he asked in a thick French accent. I nodded. "I'm Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette, Marquis de La Fayette, but you can call me Lafayette." I smiled. 

"I'm Hercules Mulligan." the man with a beanie introduced. 

"I'm Y/n." 

"Were you trying to get somewhere, Y/n?" Hercules asked. 

"Ye-" I was interrupted by cannon fire. I looked around and saw men scrambling everywhere. 

"Hey!" Hercules stopped someone running back into the camp. 

"What's happening?!" The young soldier fought to gain his breath. 

"The British...launched...a surprise attack. The general...says...we need everyone...we can get." The soldier ran away and Lafayette took me under his arm and started walking fast alongside Hercules. 

"Where are we going?" I asked, scared and confused. Lafayette stopped and put both of his hands on my shoulders. 

"Can you shoot a gun, Y/n?" He asked, looking into my eyes. I nodded. 

"Yes, I'm a pretty good shot." 

"Good." Hercules said, handing me a musket. "Follow our lead, do as we say, and most importantly, don't break formation unless the word is given." Hercules said, continuing to walk. I caught up with him, musket in hand. 

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked, panic rising in my chest. 

"You heard the general's orders, mon amie." Lafayette said. "We need everyone we can get."