Why?

It had been a few months since Mom, Auntie Ang, Philip and our other siblings left for our grandpa's home upstate. It took a lot of convincing, persuasion, and debating, but Mom finally budged and let me stay behind with Pop. I was walking down the street to my father's work building. I opened the door to his office and selected the papers he needed for a certain essay he was currently working on. I walked out the door and locked it behind me. When I went to turn back around, I bumped into a tall man and spilled all of the papers in my arms on the floor. 

"I'm so sorry." I apologized. "I wasn't looking where I was going." I bent down to pick up the papers. 

"It's my fault. I should've been more careful." the man said, bending down to join my clean-up. I froze because I recognized that smooth Southern accent. I looked up and saw a familiar head of curls and magenta suit.

"Mr. Jefferson." I greeted coldly.

"Miss Hamilton." he replied, handing me a stack of papers. I blinked and shook my head. "You okay?" he smirked.

"I'm fine. You're just like--"

"Perfect?"

"A friend I used to know. A friend who fought by my side." I snapped. I walked back down the corridor to the exit. "And Mr. Jefferson." I started, turning around. "Don't flatter yourself by thinking you're a prince. We all know you're a pauper." I saw him turn red in the face.

"Your father is the only fake royalty here, Miss Hamilton. I know that he'd do anything, even beg George Washington, to get any plan of his on the Congress floor. I can't even believe he's actually successful. He should be dead and buried somewhere in the Caribbean, right?" he called back to me. I stormed up to him and glared.

"My father is a man of honor. I'd lay down my life for him without a second thought and I won't let self-absorbed pricks like you disrespect him or my family for as long as I live." I growled. 

He glowered down at me and I turned on my heel and stormed out of the building. 

I stomped back home, muttering under my breath. "Who does he think he is? He's a jackass, that's what he is. He's not a Congressman." I said this walking up to my house. I pulled out my key and was about to put it in the lock. I noticed that the door was unlocked and ajar. I peered in and looked around. Everything seemed in order. I walked in and shut the door behind me. Everything was quiet. I marched upstairs and lay the papers down in Pop's office. 

Then, I heard a thud. I yelped and saw no one at the door. "It came from my parent's room." I whispered to myself. I grabbed a pistol that my father kept in his desk and loaded it. I tip-toed to the bedroom door as quietly as possible. I cocked the gun and threw the door open. I aimed it at the figure in the room. 

I heard a woman's scream. 

I looked up and saw my father with his arms around a woman. My mouth went dry and my hands grew clammy. I couldn't move. "Pop? Who's she?" I mumbled. My father looked exactly like me, as white as a sheet and speechless. "How long has this been going on?" I inquired. He tried to get words out, but he couldn't. He walked towards me, but I aimed the gun at him. "You stay away from me, you bastard!" I screamed. He walked towards me, reaching out to me. "Stay away from Angelica! Stay away from Mom! Stay away from Philip! Stay away from us!" I screamed this as I ran down the stairs. I flew out the door and down the street. I stowed the gun in my dress sash and picked up my skirt and continued running. I turned a corner and flew into a shop. I sat down on the ground and watched for my father. 

"Y/N?" a voice murmured. I looked up with teary eyes and saw a familiar face.

"Herc. It's good to see your face." I sighed, walking up to him and hugging him tightly. He hugged me back.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were upstate with your family." 

"No. I stayed behind to help--" I stopped and sobbed. I rested against Herc's chest and hugged him tighter. We sat down on the ground and he held me.

"What happened? Is Alexander alright?" he asked, concerned. I nodded.

"He did something...but not to me....I can't bring myself to say it." 

"You trust me right?" he asked. I nodded. "You can tell me anything."

"I really want to tell you, but I can't. You can know it had nothing to do with me."

"Is there anything I can do for you?" he wondered.

"I need to go to my family. Can you take me upstate?" I asked. He smiled and nodded. I stood up and started walking to the door when I stumbled. 

"Y/N? You okay?" Herc asked. I nodded, but didn't speak. I walked another few steps and completely fell to the floor. "Y/N!" he shouted, kneeling next to me. He felt my forehead. "Jesus Y/N. You're burning up!" My eyesight was all fuzzy and my head was spinning. I felt him lift me up and carry me away. I closed my eyes and slept.

(A/N: Sorry I haven't updated this in a while. I've had severe writer's block for this story and tech week and school on top of that. Please forgive me and I hope you enjoyed.)