III ♛ Lady Helen No More

[Chapter 3]

"Char, have you found a suitable dress for the banquet yet?" Morgana calls out from behind her dressing area as Charlotte searches through the wardrobe

"Char, have you found a suitable dress for the banquet yet?" Morgana calls out from behind her dressing area as Charlotte searches through the wardrobe. The King's Ward often allows Char to wear one of her dresses when events are planned. Charlotte does not like fancy gowns expected of her status, so Morgana and Gwen usually have to reason with her until she reluctantly dresses in it. Charlotte groans, "No. Why can't I wear one of mine?"

"Char, we've been over this. We have to dress nice for these occasions, and your outfits...let's just say you wear them for comfort and ease of movement rather than style." Char frowns at the comment that almost came out as an insult. Gwen enters the room with a dress in hand, saying, "Cheer up, Char. It's only one night. Why don't you look at this one? It was just washed."

Gwen holds up a light blue gown with white accents, perfectly suited for Char's personality. Charlotte hums, "I suppose this will work, so long as the fabric isn't rough."

Charlotte and Morgana stroll into the banquet hall — Char looking more than a little uneasy. Something about this night does not give her a good feeling. Arthur and a few other noblemen notice their entrance. The prince's mouth drops open the slightest, muttering, "God have mercy."

The two fair maidens walk right by Gaius and Merlin, the latter looking more than intrigued. As Arthur prances over to compliment them, Guinevere stands by Merlin, mentally noting how he can't seem to remove his eyes from Charlotte.

"She looks great, doesn't she?" Gwen asks in excitement. Merlin smiles, absentmindedly agreeing, "Yeah..."

"Some people are just born to be Queen."

"No!" The boy instantly denies, turning away to face Gwen. He can't imagine Char being with Arthur. It almost pains him.

"I hope so — one day! But, sadly, Arthur is the heir to the throne since he's older. But she would take over if he were to die somehow — not that I'm saying I want him to die! I just think she'd be the better ruler —"

"Wait — hold on," Merlin stops her mid-ramble. "What do you mean? Wouldn't she simply marry him?"

"Oh, good Lord, no! He's her brother," Gwen informs. Merlin's eyes widen at the new-found information right as the horns go off to signal the King's entrance. Everyone lines up, and Charlotte finds herself in the back beside Merlin. As Uther makes his speech, Merlin whispers, "When were you going to tell me that you're Arthur's sister?"

"How did you find out?" Charlotte whispers back.

"Gwen."