VI ♛ The Mind of the Fallen

[Chapter 6]

"Hello?  Is anybody out there?" Charlotte shakily calls out into the dark forest

"Hello? Is anybody out there?" Charlotte shakily calls out into the dark forest. The scenery around her fades in and out in a blur. Her head desperately twists every which way, searching for any familiar path to lead her out of this place.  She hesitantly walks forward, hoping to see something familiar.  She's dressed in boots, trousers, and a top — almost like hunting gear.

"Arthur? Merlin? ...Anyone?"  That's when she spots it; an abnormally large stone in a small clearing.  Her gut wrenches at the sight.  For some reason, she feels a sort of energy drawing her in.  But why?  Char hesitantly steps over the branches and dead leaves to analyze the stone.  She places her hand against the piece of nature.  She closes her eyes as waves of feelings rush over her: justice, worry, hate, love.  She feels everything all at once and yet nothing at the same time.

"You need to hone those gifts of yours," the Great Dragon's voice rings out loudly.  Charlotte opens her eyes to find the scene changed completely.  She's in the cave where the dragon is held captive.  "I gave them to you for a reason."

Charlotte hisses, holding back a scream, at the fiery pain in her side.  She lifts the side of her shirt, seeing her old wound looking as fresh as the day she got it.  Blood seeps into her clothes.  Long, jagged claw marks took up the space, followed by teeth marks.  She can't hold back the scream any longer as the pain increases. She feels nauseous as the blood pools from her side. Her knees buckles, and she catches herself on the rocky platform below.

"You are needed in this kingdom," the Great Dragon's voice echoes in her ears.  She looks up to see him hovering over her small form.  "More than you know.  You are a key to saving all magic.  ...You must guide him — both of them.  It is your destiny."

"How is she?" Guinevere delicately asks as she approaches Merlin.  The boy sits by Charlotte, holding her hand in his as he stares blankly at the covers of the cot.  His face may show no emotion, but it's far from it.

"Fading by the hour," Merlin mutters, clenching his fists.  His stomach turns over and over, and his heart aches at the sight of the princess's pale skin.  "She's taken by fever, turned sickly, and whimpers in her sleep — I think it's nightmares."

Gwen purses her lips as she glances from the frail state of Charlotte to the worrisome servant.  Why did Char have to get bitten?  Why did it have to be her?  She already misses the girl's kind words and sarcastic attitude.  Gwen steps closer, placing her hand on Merlin's shoulder.  "And how are you?"

The question is a simple one, but Merlin knows what she's implying.  He hasn't slept — barely eaten.  Bags shadow his worried eyes.  "I'm alive."  Gwen holds her tongue, patiently waiting for him to continue.  "Arthur hates me.  I'm not even his servant anymore.  He dismissed me from his service.  ...I should have been with her.  Maybe — maybe I could have stopped the snake."