Chapter 6: Riley

Thistlepaw bounded over to Heatherfall and Gorserunner once her clanmates had ceased their cheering.

"Oh, i'm so proud of you!" Her mother purred loudly, pulling Thistlepaw and Tigerpaw against her chest with her paws. Thistlepaw sneezed as her mother's fur tickled her nose.

"Heatherfall!" She pushed herself away, licking her chest fur to smooth it down.

Despite her daughter's embarrassment, Heatherfal's eyes shone with pride for her two kits. Gorserunner padded forward, pressing his muzzle to Tigerpaw's and then Thistlepaw's, then taking a step back to rest his tail tip on his mate's shoulder. "I can't wait to go on a patrol with all of us together!" The tall tom's voice heavy with emotion. "We can show you all the best places to hunt! And I can help you with your running technique, and-"

Thistlepaw's father's excited mewing was interrupted by his mate lightly flicking his ears with her tail. "I'm sure their mentors will do just fine Gorserunner." She scolded gently.

At that moment the two newest apprentices' mentors padded forward, bowing their heads respectfully to Gorserunner. "Yes, I believe we'll do just fine." Amusement lit Lightningstrike's yellow eyes. "But I know they can both probably benefit from your running technique." Sheepnose added.

Pride swelled in Thistlepaw's chest as she heard the two toms praised her parents. Both of them were respected throughout the clan for their skills out on the moor. She exchanged a quick glance of excitement with Tigerpaw, his amber eyes glowing.

Suddenly, Lightpaw scampered forward, his gold and white fur on end, stopping in front of the new mentors and apprentices while his brother Skypaw followed more slowly. "We have spots saved for you in the apprentice's area!" Lightpaw flicked his ears in the direction of the far side of the clearing. All cats in Windclan, despite queens and kits, elders, and medicine cats slept under the open sky. "You can decide who sleeps closest to Skypaw." He leaned forward mischievously, whiskers quivering. "He kicks a lot in his sleep."

Skypaw narrowed his eyes mid-lick of his short grey fur and looked at his brother defiantly. "I do not!" He lashed his tail and crouched, looking ready to pounce.

Lightningstrike stepped forward, placing a paw in the apprentice's path to his brother. "Skypaw, do you really want the newest apprentices to think that all you do is attack your brother?" The deputy looked down pointedly as the grey tom sat up and ran a paw over his ear.

"No." Skypaw muttered, slowing a sideways glare to his brother, who was twitching his whiskers with amusement.

"Good." The huge orange tabby turned to Thistlepaw. "Now, if you want, we can go out for a tour of the territory while these two," He beckoned Lightpaw and Skypaw with his tail, "change the elders' bedding and search for ticks. I'm sure Echobreeze would be glad for the help."

Anticipation crawled through Thistlepaw's fur. The last time she had been outside the camp, she had fallen from the moor peak after leaping at a hawk that had tried attacking her and Tigerpaw when they were kits. She shivered when she remembered her painful fall, only to wake up with a permanently twisted paw.

Her mentor must have seem her doubtful look, and gently rested his tail on her back. "Don't worry, Sheepnose and I both have dealt with countless hawks. We will all be fine."

Thistlepaw looked over to her brother and his mentor, who were walking forward to join them on the tour. She was glad Sheepnose would be there, he was the one that reached her first after she fell and was comforted to know he would be there to watch out for Tigerpaw as well.

"Okay." She lifted her head higher, matching Lightningstrike's yellow eyes with her green ones. "I'm ready."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~