1-Do-Well-Hell-Dweller

Third person (eventually the whole book will be.)

King Dice walked briskly towards the bar. He wasn't in a hurry, but he was never known as a man to waste time. Idle hands are the devil's playthings.

The expression almost made him want to laugh. Almost. But he bit it back as he sought out a particular man who had worked up quite a large swimming streak over at the tables. Though that was sure to change.

The man who hung on the bar was no one special. He looked like he may be a red panda, Dice didn't want to assume, but it was kind of hard not to. The young man's richly colored, well groomed, rust-toned fur, ringed in a cream white and near black, and his cream dipped ears that pulled back towards his head were not exactly subtle. He was lean and short, and he wore a casual outfit. Black slacks and a long sleeve white button up with the sleeves pushed up to his elbows. The seat next to him opened up, and Dice took his shot.

"It's a rather pleasant night to test the tables, and you seem to be doing pretty well," Dice greeted him, but took a step back at the young man's nearly hostile glare. "Did you come here alone?" Dice questioned warmly, his voice nothing but friendly. "Don't you have some family at least that you're playing for?" Dice slid smoothly onto the barstool next to the man. The man glanced over at the die and took a sip from his glass. Dice picked up a drink of his own.

"Not a single one... Not anymore at least. My mother, last one in my family aside from me, left me her fortune when she passed not long ago." He sighed and tipped back the rest of his drink. Dice settled into his poker face and looked at him with mock sympathy.

"Well, I think fate's on your side tonight. You could bet an entire fortune- hell, more even- And you could probably walk out of here richer than the devil himself. I'd kill for that chance." Dice lied easily, relaxing onto his seat and watching carefully. He sat quietly with his eyes nearly closed, waiting to see if the lonesome man would take the bait.

Dice could see now that the whites of the panda's deep deep brown eyes were rimmed faintly in red, and he swayed lightly as he took a long drag off of a cigarette he had sitting in a tray nearby. But the man's mood shifted slowly and he smiled slyly, like he thought he could beat the system.

He abruptly turned in the die's direction and blew the remaining entrails of smoke from his slow, tired exhale at him. Dice wasn't expecting it, so of course he tensed, but it wasn't as if this was the first time it had been done to him, accidentally or otherwise. Apparently harassment of many kinds were in the job detail.

"You're pretty polite, but you talk too much," The man crept closer than Dice's comfort allowed, the liquor courage in the man's system making him unreasonably brave, but Dice stayed calm, and leaned back as if it were a casual, relaxed gesture. "I don't need a lavender-tailored die head telling me what I already know. So how about we play a game?" The man sat back and lit another cigarette. Dice relaxed and grinned back at him, his voice as smooth as silk, luring the other into an illusion of comfort and safety, as was his specialty with newcomers who didn't know any better.

"Mind you that this is Royal purple, but I'd fancy a game of Poker, Blackjack rather, if that is what you'd be more comfortable with. Craps, even?" Thoroughly Allured, the man nodded and allowed Dice to lead him to the Craps table. The dealer saw them approaching and immediately turned the card.

"Coming-out!" She called to the surrounding crowd, alerting them to a new game. Both participants bet pass line as a small group gathered around them, watching eagerly, and betting among themselves. Most regulars knew if Dice was at the table, there was sure to be a show.

"Guest rolls first, Doll." Dice smiled and leaned on the table to watch. Dice relaxed on the edge of the table, he knew he wouldn't have to roll for some time. He ordered another round of drinks for the pair from a passing waiter. The man opposite of him rolls an eleven on his first try, and wins.