8-Happy Days

((I will be redrawing things for this book down the road))

Word count: 2913

3rd person P.O.V.

A sad looking doe sat on a stool at the bar, stirring the toothpick-skewered olive round and round the edge of her martini.

Her back slinked down and her shoulders slumped in defeat, all the while highlighting the curves of her body from within the clinging, metallic leaf-green, dully shimmering
Cocktail dress.

The one that perfectly accented her green eyes that managed to look like splintering ice, and her lids which were covered in a dull, pine colored eye shadow.

The die, who had been watching over her for the last couple of hours as many customers came and went, even as the midnight hours faded into the morning, was a bit worried about her.

When she was the last one left at the bar, and all the patreons had even decided to go home, there she sat, never even having taken a sip of the drink in front of her.

"Heya, 'scuse me, doll, but I'm pretty sure, seeing how slow things have gotten, that the casino will probably be closing up within the hour." He said lightly, his dim, ever-buzzing energy winding into his lighthearted tone.

"Oh." She exclaimed in a soft
voice. For the first time that night, she broke free from her trance and became alert. Her large pretty eyes darted over him twice. He seemed to remind herself of what troubled her, and her small smile didn't quite reach her eyes anymore.

The die took instant notice. "Hey, why the long face? What's a Dame like you got to be sad about on a night like this anyways?" He asked, propping himself on the counter in front of her.

She hesitated for a moment, pondering whether it was even worth mentioning. With decision in her eye, she opened her mouth to speak.

"It's... It's who I was supposed to meet here tonight. I got stood up. He was nice, and I never though he'd be such a person to-" she paused, her breath hitching lightly.

She tucks a light golden tuff of her long flowy hair behind her ear and sucks in a short breath.

"Now, why would anyone wanna go and do a thing like that? Here, doll, I'll pay your tab, it isn't as if you worked up much of a tab as it is, and you won't have to worry about it. And, if you want," he said, clicking the register closed and sliding from behind the counter. "If you'd like I'm feeling stiff, having to stand there all day, and I wouldn't mind if you'd like a dance before you left.

She sat for a moment, completely dazed and left speechless. His charming smile alone was enough to dazzle. But after a minute she batted her thick lashes and pushed herself back to reality.

She stood and they made their way to the floor. Even without music, they both had fun dancing. His personality could infect anyone. They dipped and spun to the imaginary beat in their heads.

When they eventually stopped dancing, almost an hour later, they sat back at the bar drinking iced Cokes and laughing.

Both were flushed very faintly from so much dancing, but they neither felt the need to stop their fun to correct the slight pant to their content breaths, or to do anything more to disrupt the great atmosphere.

Eventually, the fawn had to take her leave.

"I'm so sorry, but I do have to go. Goodness, look at the time. Thanks for helping me, Mr. Dice." The lady perched higher on her wedged heels to drag her soft, fur coated finger over the left side of his face warmly.