Chapter 10

(Lloyd's POV)

I scratch my head trying to process everything that my female friend has told me just now, and I have to ask again.

"So...you want me to protect you from Gene? Like, the bully at school who you punched on the bus and hates my guts?"

Now that I recall back a few months, I remember doing the same thing to Gene back when I first met Claire. All over Gene wanting some stupid, nonexistent lunch money.

Claire sighed, staring at the wall. "Look, I know it's a lot to ask, but this is becoming unbearable. Ever since me and you started hanging out publicly, kids at school started spreading rumors that we were..." She coughed. "Together..."

Oh...

I quickly hid my face from Claire's view, as I was certain that it was currently as red as her hair.

Wait, what? Of all things to compare my face to-

I have serious problems.

"Look, the other day, I found this in my locker," Claire held out a piece of paper to me. I grabbed it hesitantly, and my eyes scanned over the words that were crudely written all over it.

Claire,

Representing the entire school, I'd like to inform you that having romantic relationships with Lloyd Garmadon is a curse and should likewise be eradicated as soon as possible. Don't resist us, we just have far more experience with Lloyd, and you should definitely not be dating him. Remember, we are only trying to help you. Although, if this does continue, we will be forced to take action.

-Gene

Gene...

Ever since the day I met him, he's treated me like garbage and I know he does the same to lots of other kids as well. He is completely self-centered, and his friend base is completely decided by how popular or good-looking that "friend" is.

Messing with me was enough, but messing with Claire?

That just about pushed the button.

"What would I do?" I ask, staring at the floor. "If anything, my presence will only make things worse. This is all because of me, Claire...maybe it would have been best if you never became friends with me. All you'll ever get out of it is hurt."

Claire rests a small, yet calming hand on my shoulder and speaks with a smile. "Lloyd, the only thing I've gotten out of this friendship is some of the best memories I'll ever make. I became friends with just about the kindest, sweetest, and most friendly guy I've ever met." She blushed, and so did I, but she continued. "I'm not gonna let a stupid bully get in between that."

"Claire, it's not just one bully. Just about the entire school hates me, and now they will have the same ill will towards you. We can't get out of this now."

"Then we can push past it together." She speaks so kind, so innocently, that everything she says makes so much sense.

How does this girl keep slipping through my defenses?

I'm a ninja, for crying out loud!

Either way, school is tomorrow once again, and another day of curses and scowls. And I'm not gonna let them affect Claire. If they're gonna get to her, they're gonna have to go through me. No matter how difficult that may be...

(Jay's POV)

Today is another school day and another opportunity to make more friends! Sure, it hasn't worked too well the past few years, but I'm sure someone other than the team will take interest. There has to be someone out there who is interested in the same things as I am.