Chapter 12

(Claire's POV)

"Dad, I'm fine," I assure him for about the tenth time today, but he still is not persuaded. He continues pacing back and forth at the foot of my hospital bed, and I roll my eyes. "Dad..."

He sighs, coming to a stop at last. "I'm sorry, Claire, but it's pretty hard not to be worried when my daughter winds up in the hospital because of Lloyd Garmadon."

"It wasn't his fault!" I yell, about ready to tear my hair out. But then again, I probably am not in the condition to do so. "He had nothing to do with me getting hurt!"

"Then why were you bleeding on the ground as well as some other kids while Lloyd was standing there with his fist clenched? He obviously hurt you! You've just fallen for him so much that you were completely blind as to what happened!"

"He saved me!" I shout, and he takes a step back. "Lloyd has only ever wanted the best for me, and I know he'd never want to harm me. You may think like everyone else that he's evil just because of his lineage, but I know him for who he really is!"

"And who is he?" Dad folds his arms against his chest. "I'm assuming 'Lloyd Jones' was all a big lie too? I should have recognized him sooner!"

"Dad, I'm sorry for lying, but I had no choice!" I want so badly to get out of this stupid bed and take Dad to properly meet Lloyd. Then maybe he can understand. But I can't get out of here. Because of my stupid injuries. Ugh!

"You lied to me, and probably your mother as well, and you've been hanging out with the kid who is widely known as the one who messes everything up!" Dad groans. "You really like a boy like that?"

I feel warmth rise to my cheeks at his remark.

I don't like Lloyd...

Uh, yeah, you do. You were thinking all morning about his wavy hair and his kind green eyes...

Maybe I do like him. So what? It's not like he likes me back. I'm not pretty or cool enough for him.

Are you serious? After getting to know the guy, surely his standards aren't that high...you still have a chance at this.

I push away my thoughts as I look back to my father with a sigh. "Dad, look. I'm sorry. I never should have lied to you or taken you for granted. But I knew you would never let me see him of you knew who he was-"

"Exactly!" Dad exclaims, standing up. "That boy is nothing but trouble and I don't need him turning my daughter into some kind of...rebel. He's a bad influence, Claire."

"Dad!'

"My word is final, Claire. Once you get healed up, your life will pick up where you left it...without Lloyd Garmadon..."

His words repeat themselves over and over in my head as he leaves the room, leaving me once again all alone.

Picking it up where you left it...

Without Lloyd...

Without him...

It's not fair. Lloyd and I shouldn't be forced to end our friendship based on how other people view us. If only the world could see Lloyd for who he really is, not by who his father is. It honestly breaks my heart to see this unfold before him.

And it's now more than ever...that I miss him.

I attempt to sit up, and all I get out of it is a seriously aggravating cramp in my side. But being able to finally sit up is worth it. I take this time to look over all the cuts and wounds across my arms, and I don't dare look at anything else. I know it's only worse.