Truths Revealed

Harry, Ron and Hermione come across a great flood of water streaming from the Girls' Bathroom a few days later. From within, Myrtle can be heard moaning. "Looks like Myrtle's flooded the bathroom," Harry mutters. As Harry sploshes off toward the bathroom, Ron steps lightly.

"Yuck," Ron mumbles.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Huge, wracking moans echo off the dreary tile. All the taps are running, streaming like tiny waterfalls. As Harry and Ron step to the last cubicle, Myrtle spins accusingly. "Come to throw something else at me?" Myrtle asks.

"Why would I throw something at you?" Harry inquires.

"Don't ask me. Here I am, minding my own business, and someone thinks it's funny to throw a book at me-" Myrtle replies.

"But it can't hurt if someone throws something at you. I mean, it'd just go right through you, wouldn't it?" Ron asks.

"Oh sure! Let's all throw books at Myrtle, because she can't feel it! Ten points if you can get it through her stomach. Fifty points if it goes through her head!" Myrtle shouts, acting out what she says on Harry.

"Who threw it at you anyway?" Harry inquires.

"I don't know. I didn't see them. I was just sitting in the U-bend, thinking about death and it fell through the top of my head," Myrtle relays. Harry sees a small black book on the floor. Picks it up.

"Fifty points if you can get it through her nose," Ron says.

"I HEARD THAT!" Myrtle shouts.. Harry and Ron dash out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry examines the book as he and Ron walk. "This is a diary. And it's old-" Harry notes.

"It's a diary, it's old, and was most recently in a toilet, Harry," Ron finishes. Harry starts to open it, when Ron grabs his hand. "Are you mad? That could be cursed. Dad once told me about a book the Ministry confiscated that burned the eyes out of anyone who tried to read it."

"I'll take my chances-" Harry replies. He opens it and shouts, "Ahhh! MY EYES! MY EYES!" Ron freezes, terrified, when, Harry grins, ending the ruse. At the end of corridor, Ginny stands, looking from the diary to Harry, utter terror on her face, then dashes off. "Ginny! I was only joking, Brilliant. Even your sister thinks I'm the monster now."

"Who doesn't?" Ron asks. Ron frowns suddenly. On the first page on the diary, embossed letters spell out a name, "Tom Marvolo Riddle". "Tom Marvolo Riddle? Hang on. I know that name- (thinking, then) Of course! The night I had detention, My job was to polish the silver in the trophy room. I remember because I kept burping slugs all over Tom Riddle's trophy. I must have wiped slime off his name for an hour."

Harry fans the pages. They're empty. "That's odd. He never wrote in it," Harry replies.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Diary. A gold embossed address on the back reads, "Waxflatter's booksellers". 422 Vauxhall Road. Harry sits with Hermione in the moonlit room. Hermione studies the diary curiously. "Tom Riddle, Hm. And Ron said he won an award fifty years ago?" Hermione asks.

"Special Services to the School or something-" Harry explains.

"Fifty years ago? You're sure?" Hermione asks.

"Yes. Why?" Harry questions.

"Don't you remember what Malfoy told you? The last time the Chamber of Secrets was opened was-"