Whomping Willow

Swook! Swook! A crow glides to the flock circling the feet of a pot-bellied man, the executioner, sitting in the courtyard. As he sharpens his axe, Swook! Swook! Harry, Ron and Hermione hurrying past. The executioner looks up and we, cut to: Harry, leading Ron and Hermione toward Hagrid's hut. "I can't believe they're going to kill Buckbeak! It's too horrible," Hermione starts.

"It just got worse," Harry notes.

She and Ron look and see Malfoy, along with Crabbe and Goyle, lurks within a grouping of monolithic menhirs, binoculars in hand, spying on Hagrid, who stands in the pumpkin patch, tossing dead ferrets to Buckbeak. Hagrid wipes his eyes, lopes into the hut. "Did you see the big, fat blubbering oaf?! Oh, this is going to be rich. Did I tell you, Father said I can keep the head-" Draco smirks. He looks up. "Ah. Come to see the show?"

"You foul loathsome evil little cockroach," Hermione says, marching up.

Malfoy stumbles back against a tree, cross-eyed with fear as Hermione jabs the tip of her wand under his nose. "Hermione! No!" Ron calls. She turns, surprised Ron's spoken to her. He looks away. "He's not worth it."

Hermione nods, then, Smack! quick as lightning, lands a looping right to Malfoy's jaw, putting him flat on his back. Stunned, he leaps to his feet and runs, Crabbe and Goyle huffing and puffing behind. "That felt good," Hermione smiles.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The trio makes their way down the slope and past Buckbeak, chewing on a ferret with idle satisfaction. Hagrid stands by the window watching Buckbeak. Harry and Ron sit. Hermione makes tea. "Look at 'em. Loves the smell o' the trees when the wind blows," Hagrid says, lost in thought.

"I say we set him free," Harry says.

"They'd know I did it. And tha' would only get Dumbledore in trouble. Gonna come down, yeh know. Says he wants ter be with me when it when it happens. Great man, Dumbledore," Hagrid says.

"We'll stay with you too, Hagrid," Hermione assures.

"Yeh will not! Think I wan' yeh seein' a thing like this! No. Yeh'll drink yer tea an' be off. But before yeh do, I wan' ter see you an' Ron shake hands, Harry," Hagrid says. Ron and Harry exchange a glance, then look to Hagrid. "Thin' I haven' seen 'ow it's bin betw'n you two? Go on now." Reluctantly, Harry and Ron extend their hands. Shake. "Good. Now then. Ron, I wan' ter see you give Hermione a hug."

"What!" Hermione and Ron cry.

"Go on! You two've been at it all year. An' I'm sick o' it," Hagrid argues. Acutely uncomfortable, Hermione and Ron step forward and perform perhaps the most awkward hug Hogwarts has ever seen. "Crikey, tha's jus' abou' the most pathetic hug I e'er seen. But yeh did it, an' tha's wha' matters. There's jus' one other thing."

"I'm not kissing Fang if that's what you're thinking," Ron shouts. Hearing his name, Fang, Hagrid's giant boarhound, thumps his tail happily on the floor. Hagrid turns, takes the lid from a flour tin, a tiny head, ears flecked with powder, emerges. "Scabbers! You're alive!" Ron cheers, reading for the rat.

"Yeh should keep a closer eye on yer pets, Ron," Hagrid says.

"I think you owe someone an apology," Hermione notes,

"Right. Next time I see Crookshanks, I'll let him know," Ron replies.

"I meant me," Hermione argues.

"Crikey. Here we go agin," Hagrid sighs.

Smash! A glass jar on the shelf shatters. As Hermione scoops up a jagged star-shaped stone, a second stone bounces off the back of Harry's head. "Ow!" Harry cries. Harry turns, looks out the window. "Hagrid."