The Water Is Always Bluer--2

Chapter Two

            That night Sophie was sitting her bedroom staring out the window as the clock ticked. Freddy said he’s be waiting outside at five o’clock to meet her. It was four-fifty. Sophie had gotten home from the YMCA that afternoon and had quickly showered. Her wavy hair was falling slightly past her shoulders and she wore a white tank and denim skirt over her purple bikini. The clock ticked and another minute went past. She looked out her window again and saw Freddy standing there. He waved at the window signaling for her to come down. She grabbed her cell phone and walked down the hall quietly. She snuck out the back door and ran towards the beach to meet Freddy.

            “Well aren’t you little miss rebel,” Freddy teased.

            “Shut up!” Sophie hissed.

            They began their walk down the beach. Freddy had informed her that it’d be just about a half-mile down from her house. They could see the fire pit in the distance. It wasn’t dark enough for the fire yet. That’d be more around six o’clock. But right now everyone was out playing in the water. Cheers and calls went up when Sophie and Freddy came up. Freddy walked up to his buds on the team while Sophie went and sat with a few of the girls.

            “Hey Sophie! How’d you get out?” one girl asked.

            “I betchya she snuck out,” another commented.

            “Sneak out past her dad? Yeah right. That guy’s got eyes like a hawk,” the first girl snickered.

            “Not to mention little miss goody-two shoes would never defy her father,” a third girl added.

            “Gee guys… it’s not like I’m here or anything,” Sophie snapped before pushing herself up to her feet. She strode over to Freddy. “This is so much fun Freddy. I’m just having the best time of my life,”

            “Hey Fredster, I have a feeling she’s not having fun,” one of the Varsity guys commented.

            “Now what gave you that idea Sid?” Freddy smiled.

            “Hey Sophie!” the first girl called out. “Mikey over here wants your number!”

            Mikey was a freshman who had joined the swim team last year. He had had a crush on Sophie all year and was smitten with her now. None of her teammates let her live it down. And Sophie didn’t know how to let him down easily. At least, that was usually the case. At the moment she was pissed off and didn’t care how he felt.

            “Not interested,” she snapped.

            “Aw, little miss angel seems mad,” the girl snickered.

            “I’m out of here,” Sophie sighed.

            “Aw c’mon Soph! You snuck out of your house for this. Why don’t you stay?” Sid wondered.

            “Cause our team is full of prissy girls. I get enough of them at school and I really don’t want it outside of school too,” Sophie snapped before storming away.

            “C’mon Fredster. We might as well go with her,” Sid sighed.

            “Why do you care so much Sidster?” Freddy wondered as the followed slightly behind a still fuming Sophie.

            “She’s my friend too! Am I not allowed to care?” Sid wondered.

            “Yes, you’re allowed to care Sid. I just don’t see you doing her morning workouts,” Freddy commented.