The Water Is Always Bluer--4

Chapter Four

            The next morning, Sophie was walking through the entrance of the Castle again, but this time she an employee and a guest. The lady at the front desk was expecting her. When Sophie walked up she handed her a room key and directed her towards the elevators. Sophie smiled and lugged her suitcase over to the elevator. She got in and rode it up to her floor. She was on the fifth floor. Mrs. Smith thought it would easier for her to get to work if she wasn’t on such a high floor. She walked down the hall taking in the ivory walls and wine red carpets. Each door was oak with a gold plaque on it that said the room number. They all had mini-door bells and glass door knobs with keyholes underneath. Nothing was automatic about this hotel. Sophie reached her room at the end of the hall and quickly unlocked the door. She rushed in ready to take it all in.

            It was a huge room. Kind of like a little apartment. There was a living room area, a kitchen area, and bedroom with a large bathroom. The bedroom had a queen sized bed in it. There was a small walk in closet and an oak dresser with a mirror on it. The bathroom had a huge Jacuzzi bathtub and a glass shower. There were two sinks a top a marble counter top and a mirror that covered the whole wall above the sinks. The living room had a couch, a love seat, and a TV. Parallel to the living room was a door that led out to a balcony. The view from the balcony was of the pool, then a walkway that lead down to the beach. On the other side of the living room, and the first right past the front door, was the kitchen. It had a little bar area, a fridge, and oven and stove, a microwave, and a few cabinets. Sophie checked in and saw that everything was fully stocked. They even had junk food in there.

            She walked back to where she had left her suitcase at the front door, and dragged it into her room. She quickly unpacked everything, trying to get as situated as possible. It was going to be weird living on her own, but she was excited. She figured she’d have to move out sooner or later. This was the perfect thing to prepare her for the future. She had just finished unpacking when the phone in the living room rang. Sophie rushed to answer it saw that it said Front Desk.

            “Hello?” she asked playing with the ends of her jean shorts.

            “Sophia Rodgers?” the lady on the other end wondered.

            “Yes. This is her,” Sophie stood up straighter even though no one could see her.

            “It’s Mrs. Smith, I need you down by the pool please. I would like to show you around your area of work,” she ordered.

            “Yes ma’am. I’ll be right down,” Sophie smiled.

            She hung up the phone and all but ran towards the door. On her way down the elevator she took the time to calm herself and look a little more professional. She straightened out her black short sleeved t-shirt and her shorts. She ran her fingers through her hair before the doors pinged opened. Mrs. Smith was waiting patiently right outside the elevators for her. Sophie smiled and gave her a wave as she stepped out of the elevator.

            “Hi Mrs. Smith. How are you on this fine morning?” she wondered as they began walking off towards the pool.

            “Quite fine, thank you Ms. Rodgers,” Mrs. Smith smiled over at the young girl’s cheerfulness.

            “So where exactly are you going to be showing me?” Sophie asked as they walked outside to the pool area. The pool was huge, with three Jacuzzis at one end of it. Around pool were lounge chairs, small tables with chairs, and a few cabanas. Then there was a little sand pathway in-between palms trees that lead down to the portion of the beach owned by the hotel. It was about a mile or so long.