The Water Is Always Bluer--6

Chapter Six

            Sophie woke up at five in the morning that next morning. When she did she was still floating on cloud nine from the previous night. She changed into her workout gear and quickly headed down to the beach for her morning run. It was misty out, but cool. No breeze to hold her back. The minute she hit the shore she took off running. She was only going for a short run that morning considering she had to get in a few laps and some weight lifting in before she had to get to work. At ten minutes she turned back around and headed towards the hotel. When she got back in front of it she walked up the pathway leading to the pool. Taking off her clothes she dove into the pool and swam laps for about twenty more minutes. She got out and dried off before throwing her clothes back over her bathing suit. She walked over to the weight room, stopping to buy a water bottle from the machine in the staff lounge. She went through her usual cycle only once before heading back upstairs to take a shower and change into her work clothes. She grabbed a banana and an apple and headed downstairs. She chose a seat on a lounge chair by the pool to eat her breakfast.

            Up on the third floor, Brett was having breakfast in James’s room, which faced the pool. He stepped out onto the balcony and watched as Sophie walked back out to the pool to eat her breakfast. He had just watched her come back from a pretty hard run and instantly dive into the pool to swim laps for about twenty minutes and then get out looking completely unfazed. He didn’t know where she had gone after that but her figured it was to the weight room. She was amazing. James walked up and clapped him on the back.

            “Dude you’ve known this girl two days and she’s got you whipped,” he laughed.

            Brett leaned against the railing on the balcony and stared out at the ocean with a sigh. “Is that necessarily a problem?”

            “Uh yeah when your imaginary girl shows up,” James pointed out standing next to his friend, “whatchya gonna do then buddy?”

            Brett remained quiet. He had absolutely no idea what he was going to do if he ever found his dream girl. he was still determined to find this girl who had saved his life. But he didn’t know what he wanted from her. He really like Sophie. She was the perfect girl. athletic, beautiful, smart, and funny. She was the whole package. He didn’t want to just give that up willy nilly for some girl he only liked because she saved his life. James shook his head and walked back into the hotel room. Brett looked back down and saw Sophie walking out with an apple and banana in her hand. She sat down on a lounge chair and stared off into the ocean. The sunlight caught her red hair giving it a golden hue. She turned towards Brett and their eyes met. She just blinked and stared at Brett. Slowly a smile spread on her face. Brett smiled back a gave a little wave. That was all he needed to forget about the mystery girl.

~

            Sophie was standing in her room staring at her reflection. She wore a teal sundress that went a little past her knees with a navy cardigan over it. Her hair was down in curly. She was debating whether to keep it all down or tie part of it back with a ribbon. Eventually she decided on the ribbon. She had just finished tying half of her hair up with the ribbon when the phone rang. Looking at the tiny screen it showed that Freddy was calling.

            “Hey Fredster!” she smiled sitting on the bed and strapping her navy heels on.

            “Hey Soph, what’s the plan for today?” Freddy wondered.

            “I don’t know… he’s getting me in like five minutes. I think we’re going to the street fair,” Sophie balanced the phone between her ear and shoulder as she stood up and straightened out her clothes. She looked back in the mirror and examined her reflection. She was officially happy with how she looked.