The Water Is Always Bluer--8

Chapter Eight

            Sophie was sitting on the beach when Freddy and Sid showed up. They walked up silently behind her and sat down. The three sat in silence for a few minutes. Sophie had silent tears running down her cheeks. She couldn’t cry out loud. She couldn’t do anything out loud because that would mean it was all real. She didn’t want it to be real. Even though she had told Brett to go live happily ever after with Megan she couldn’t bear to see that happen. Freddy placed a hand on her shoulder and gave it a little squeeze. Sophie rested her head on his shoulder.

            “Sophie?” Sid asked rubbing his back.

            “I screwed it all up. I should have just walked over there in the first place and told him the truth. I shouldn’t have snuck around behind his back.” Sophie sighed.

            “True,” Freddy nodded.

            Sophie glared at him. “Not helping Freddy!”

            “Sorry Soph,” Freddy shrugged sheepishly.

            “Taxi here?” Sophie mumbled.

            “Yeah,” Sid nodded standing up. He stuck out his hand and pulled Sophie to her feet. “You sure about this?”

            “Just get me out of here,” Sophie nodded.

            The three of them walked out of the hotel to the waiting taxi. They climbed in and road off in silence towards Sophie’s house. They clambered out just as the sun sank lower to the horizon. Sophie walked out to the dock and sat down letting her feet dangle off the edge. Freddy and Sid stood back letting her be alone. Sophie’s head fell into her hands and her shoulders shook as she cried. When she looked up the sun hung right above the water. By sunset on the third day she was supposed to get her true love’s kiss. But her true love had been tricked by an imposter. If only there was some way she could tell him the truth. Some way she could prove to him that she was the one.

            Sophie stood up and squared out her shoulders. She knew what she had to do. She knew what was needed to make things right. She turned on her heel and strode off down the dock, picking up speed as she went. Freddy and Sid didn’t need to ask questions they just followed her. All three of them running like their lives depended on it.

~

            Brett stood on the beach watching the sun sink lower in the sky. Something felt empty. He felt like he was missing something. His heart was hollow and empty. He looked over his shoulder and saw Megan walking towards him. She wore a strapless white dress with creamy designs on it. Her brown hair was curly and pinned back in a messy bun. She walked with the easy stride of someone full of confidence. Brett stared at her. Something was off about her. Something was just wrong. He didn’t feel the way with her he thought he would.

            “Brett sweetie, do you really think you should be standing by water? Considering your history” Megan’s eyes held a twinkling tease to them.

            Brett forced a smile on his face. “Right. Don’t want you to have to save me again. Lucky you were out there in the first place,”

            “I know,” Megan shook her head faking sadness. “I’m sorry I ran away then. I was just so worried. I mean I was out there by myself and you had almost died. I feared you would blame me,”

            “You were by yourself?” Brett furrowed his brow. He had remembered his savior talking to someone. He remembered hearing her sharp voice calling out as someone pulled her away from him. She wasn’t alone out there.