Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Well this wasn't the morning I was expecting to have.

Mom was screaming and demanding things all at the same time. My four year old twin brothers were running around the kitchen floor crying in their pajamas whilst I try to wipe the bowl of cereal they intentionally spilled on the floor.

My head is throbbing and I felt absolutely tired, I haven't eaten any breakfast and the spilled cereal was the last meal left.

Wow, and the day hasn't even fully started yet.

"Can't you atleast take the day off, El?"

"I've told you this a million times, Ma. I can't. The manager would kill me."

Okay I know that's not partly true but with this home situation going out of hand, I'd rather be stuck in my swimming class.

"But could you atleast be home for lunch? Or maybe skip the afternoon from the bakery? There's going to be an event tonight so I really need you to be home." She sounds so desperate and tired at the same time, and so I nodded in agreement.

I can't blame my mom for being like this though. I mean, after dad left us, she basically had to work double shifts in a classy restaurant uptown. I guess right now is just a messy day after grandma called last night saying they're coming to visit in a week.

Putting my backpack over my shoulder, I kissed the twins goodbye and headed out. Surprisingly, the weather was a bit gloomy with dark clouds covering half of the sky.

It took me at most 15 minutes to arrive in my destination, and by this time, my stomach was growling of hunger. But I couldn't eat now. I'm already 10 minutes late for my class.

"What took you so long?" The familiar voice greets me once I placed my bag on the bench.

I turned around, only to see Ashton in a blue beach shorts and a Nirvana muscle top, covered with a Nike sports jacket. He smiles down on me and sits on the opposite end of the chair. "Did you- erm- did you get my note yesterday?"

My breath hitches up my throat with his reminder. "I did." Rummaging down my bag, I took out the grey sweatpants, handing it to him. "The shirt has not dried up yet so I wasn't able to bring that one, sorry."

"It's okay." He says quietly.

I break eye contact and scanned the area. There weren't many people swimming today, but there sure are alot getting tanned despite the moderate weather. There was also no sign of my students, leaving me a bit confused on where they could possibly be.

"By the way, Morrison cancelled out classes today. Said the sky was getting upset."

My mouth formed an o, making me wonder why the manager never called me to say something about that. I plop down on my seat, debating on what I would rather do with my free time, leaving behind the choice of coming back home.

And as if on cue, my stomach grumbles again, the sound of it audible for both our ears. I heard Ashton chuckle, making my cheeks flush.

"Are you hungry?"

Something inside me was battling wether or not I should answer him, but I did anyway. "I kinda skipped breakfast."

"Well then you wanna go grab something? I haven't had anything this morning too."

My thoughts flash to the time when things didn't turn out the way we expected it to be. I can't risk eating another meal with him, if it would only ruin my day even more.

"It's okay. I could just-" I was cut off by my stomach growling for the nth time.

"C'mon." Ashton grabs my bag, slinging it on his left shoulder, as his hands find mine and he pulls me behind him.