Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"I swear Eleanor. If I were you, I would've shut my mouth and kissed him. That would be a once in a lifetime opportunity, you know."

"Are you seriously kidding me right now?"

"Hey I'm just stating my opinion. Or maybe it's more of an advice? You haven't got laid in years."

"Lizzie!"

"God relax! I was joking!" She laughs so hard that her drink tipped a bit on her working attire. "Okay, okay. I have to go back to work. And so do you."

"My class won't start in 30 minutes. Spare me some time, maybe? I have to prepare myself before I see that asshole again."

Lizzie's eyes move from me to something, or someone, behind me. "Babe, you just ran out of time."

I arch my eyebrows confused with her statement as I fold my arms on the bar counter, leaning my head forward. I was still a bit over the edge since I barely slept last night with the twins crying all at the same time.

"Good morning." The familiar accent wakes me up. "Can I please have a glass of four seasons plus that banana over there? I didn't get the cupcakes I wanted last night."

"Sure thing, Mr. Irwin." Lizzie replies, obviously a bit nervous as she prepares his order."Is there anything else you want?"

I felt Ashton's eyes on me, probably waiting for a reaction, but I'm not giving him that.

"Yeah, but I don't think you could give me that anytime soon."

Lizzie serves his drink and I watch him gulp down the beverage in less than two minutes, his adam's apple moving slowly everytime he swallows. I guess someone's a bit thirsty. He then takes the banana, peeling it open before taking a bite, consuming almost half of the fruit. It was the only moment I noticed his left wrist all bandaged up.

"I'll see you later, Eli." Ashton smirks, breaking my trance and turning his back to walk away.

"What was that about?" Lizzie speaks up once Ashton was already far enough. "I saw the way you guys shared that awkward glance. He seems like he was going to eat you."

"Hell no. Let's just pretend it didn't happen."

I stand from my spot and proceeded to the side of the kiddie pool, placing my bag on one of those white swimming pool benches. I was already wearing my swim suit underneath my clothes so it wasn't a burden to easily get changed. But realizing that I won't be plunging in the pool any time soon, I decided against taking my outher clothing off.

A few moments later, the children began to pile up and splash a lot of water in the area. I pulled out my whistle, easily getting their attention, just like the usual.

"Alright everyone, arms high up in the-"

"Not this again." Someone groans but it's a good thing the little ones didn't mind him the way I was trying to.

"Remember, stretching before swimming could help your body feel much more relaxed in the water."

I scan my eye amidst the raised hands and saw the familiar bandage above everyone else's arms.

"Mr. Irwin, are you aware that you're not allowed to swim with that bandage on? Pool hygiene."

He glares at me while I hold a smirk on my face. "I can't remove it. I have an open wound."

"Well then kindly get off the water. It's highly possible that you'd contaminate it with your bacteria-"

There was a chorus of eewws from the kids that I had to blow my whistle to lower down their noise.

"It isn't that bad. Just let me swim." He continues to push, much more of a demand.

"Then remove the bandage."

"No."

"Get out of the po-"

"Fine!" He grumbles and opens up the bandage before throwing it on the dry land I was standing on. "Happy now?"

I roll my eyes at him and rather focused on the two cute little girls in the front row, their pink swim suit emphasizing their pale skin.

"Hey mister! Why do you have that floater on your wrist?" A tiny voice catches my attention and when I turned to look at where it came from, Ashton's annoyed face came into view.

"Mind your own business, lad."

"I was just asking. Is that the wound you were referring to awhile ago?"

"Get lost."

"Why are you so mean?"The little boy sighs, not breaking eye contact with the older one infront of him. "Is it that hard to answer my question?"

"Yes- I mean no. Ugh just go away."

By this time I was already biting my lip to stifle my giggles.

"I can't." The kid replies. "Mom dropped me off from work so I'm stuck here for the next hour or so."

"Not my problem kiddo."

"Are you a professional swimmer? You seem too old to be in this class. You're definitely not a kid."

Finally, someone who thinks like me.

"And you just realized that?" Ashton annoyingly chuckles. "Why don't you go back to your playmates and rather pay attention to the instructor."

"I just wanted to make friends. I'm Theo by the way."

"We can't be friends kid. You're too young. So can you please just go away?"

The little kid sighs in defeat and finally obeys. He proceeds to the second line where three other boys were jumping up and down, and joins them, completely leaving the oldest boy out of place.

Two hours later, I end the class with the bobbing technique before letting all of them go. I watch each little body prop themselves up the water, running away like animals on the lose.

I sit by the pool ledge, both my feet dangling down the water. Sometimes I wonder why I wear this fitting swim suit when I wasn't going to use it anyway. My denim shorts added to the uncomfortable feeling but having my toes in the water was already relaxing.

"Finding your job boring?" Ashton suddenly asks, sitting on the pool floor, back against the wall near my legs, his head being the only thing exposed.

"Not really. You kinda give some spice into it." I cover my mouth once I realized what I said. "I mean atleast I'm not stuck with just kids."

He paddles away so he could stand infront of me, my eyes involuntarily moving down his muscular chest.

"I'm sorry about yesterday." He starts in a whisper and I freeze. Is he really apologizing?

"I was just pissed off with that new girl in the diner. I have been there for quite some time and I just thought everyone knew my usual."

I shrug, not saying a word. What else am I supposed to do? Believe that he really is sorry? He already did the same thing yesterday and he took it back as quick as he said it.

"Let's start over again if we're going to be the only ones who could relate to one another in the next few months." He pauses to look at me with a small smile. "Ermm.. Hey, I'm Ashton."

I stare down on his hand which was pulled out for a handshake. There I saw the floater Theo was talking about awhile ago. It wasn't an ordinary floater. Instead, it was an outlined ring buoy that covers his left wrist. It seemed a bit red and fresh, as if he just got it last night or maybe this morning.

I wonder if it has a meaning.

"Eleanor Stummer. Nice to meet you Ashton." I accept his kind gesture and before I knew it, he pulls my hand so hard that I was sent splashing myself into the water.