Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Can someone please explain why the hell am I nervous?

Right now my hands are shaking as I make his brewed coffee. I've made a lot of brewed coffees my entire life but this one seems to be the hardest one to perfect.

What if Ashton doesn't like the taste? Damn it- saying his name is giving me the chills.

My fingers trembled as I push the coffee machine's button just as Lizzie comes up beside me. "Relax. I actually think he missed you."

"Now's not the right time to discuss that-"

"Why? I believe it's true and you, yourself, is actually thinking the same thing. Am I right?"

"No you're not." I continued denying. "Why would he miss me? There's no reason for him to actually do."

Okay, I know what I've just said. But do you know that jitty feeling you get when you pause and think about those certain what ifs? Those possibilities?

I mean like what if Lizzie is right? What if Ashton has been eager to actually see me?

"Eleanor, are you done? You do know we can't keep customers waiting, right?"

"Yes, Maura. Almost." Adding a few teaspoons of sugar and cream, I stir the hot coffee making sure that the foam on the surface doesn't mess with the tip of the mug.

I was about to hand my finished product to Mrs. Clifford when she suddenly stops me and shakes her head. "Why don't you go give it to him?"

"It's okay. You could-"

"I insist. I need to make another set of cassava cake anyway." She moves her gaze to Lizzie who was busy typing on her phone. "Liz, can you help Eleanor out by the counter?"

Her head snaps up immediately and she nods, staring at me for a few short seconds and wiggling her eyebrows. Before I could protest, my bestfriend is out.. out there.. where Ashton is.

Holding the small tray with both hands, I took in deep breaths to ready myself from any emotion I could possibly feel.

This is it. I'm actually seeing Ashton. Again.

I push the swinging doors with my back and it creeks with my movement, definitely earning attention. There were about four people by the counter and Lizzie seems be doing a good job punching in their orders. She catches my gaze and her lips pout to point the direction to where he is.

Calm yourself down, Eleanor. The coffee is very hot and it would be totally embarassing if you spill it allover yourself.

And so I slowly made my way to one of the wooden tables where Ashton sat, looking out the window.

Swallowing the pride I have left, I took all the courage to speak to him. "Your coffee."

His eyes follow my hands as it places the mug right infront of him. "Thanks." He utters with a sigh.

Look up. Look up. Please look up.

"E-Eleanor..?"

"Hi Ashton. Long time no see?" I awkwardly reply, still a bit surprised with his shocked reaction to see me too.

"It's been two days. Where were you? Are you alright? Is everything okay? Will you still be teaching swimming classes?"

"Relax. Just caught a flu these past few-achoo!"

"Oh God- bless you, Eleanor." It took me a few seconds to actually realize that Ashton had his left palm on my forehead, and his other holding my right arm. "Shouldn't you be resting then?"