Unwelcome Encounter

"Mom!" I called out as I closed the door behind me

I'd called her last night to see if she was okay, she'd been a little jumpy but otherwise okay my imagination had cooked up lots of images of Casey Lotz none of them were very comforting. 

"Mom it's me Mel."

Small footsteps got louder. 

"Shouldn't you be at work?" Her accusing voice asked. 

I rolled my eyes, I'd been worried and she just gives me attitude. 

"You aren't skipping work are you, Melissa." Her blue eyes narrowed suspiciously, how was it possible that of everyone in the world my mother distrusted me the most? "Your father and I taught you better than that."

This is what happens when I do something nice, it bites me in the ass. 

"No Mom I just came to see if you were okay with your visitor last night."

"Him, A very rude young man." She huffed in outrage. "He said my cookies were like door stops, can you believe that?"

I nervously played with my hands and averted my eyes, my Mother was not the best cook in the world that was amplified by the fact that she never used any nice things to bake with, I recalled the time she made me take her freshly baked cakes to school, she'd used almond flour instead of normal flour it was healthier she said. 

Healthier only if you do not have a nut allergy, I was known thereafter as the girl who tried to kill her teacher, he was allergic to nuts, somehow unsurprisingly he failed me for that class and my Mom blamed me. 

"They are kinda tasteless and hard and well generally not nice at all."

Her eyes grew wide. "How dare you, your father loved the,!"

"Err Mom, he used to give them to the dog when you weren't looking."

"We didn't have a dog."

"No, the dog who lived next door, at least little Monty loved them."

"Dogs are filthy creatures they would eat anything how can this be your compliment to me?"

"Because it is true?" I shrugged. 

"Frankie called me last night too." She frowned, I knew what this was about. 

"I can't afford to give her any money Mom."

"Why the hell did you marry that revolting creature if you have no money at all to give to your own little sister?"

I felt my blood boiling. "First of all her name is Lexa and she is not a revolting creature and there is no way I will be asking for any money so Frankie can go and drink way to much and sleep around on spring break."

"Your sister will do no such thing."

"Mom, what the heck do you think happens on Spring break?"