Chapter Four

I hope you all enjoy it. Will Jay manage to raise 2 children by himself? Your thoughts?
CPDCPDCPD

It does not matter when you lose a person. It's always too early and it still hurt.

It was cold in Chicago. Dark and gray, as was usual at the end of November. Rain and fog took turns; the sun hung as a dull spot in the sky. A light autumn wind blew.

The pastor spoke the final words. Family, relatives, friends and colleagues gathered at the coffin. The family stepped forward, silently placing the flower wreath in the grave and standing slightly on the side. The rest now stepped forward and did the same. Then they expressed their condolences to the family again. Jay tried valiantly to hide his tears, to act strong for his kids. Zach remained silent next to him. Not a single tear rolled down his cheek. He just stayed motionless, watching the last moments. Zoey, on the other hand, clung to her brother, tears streaming down her face. Never would the two of them have thought it possible to grow up without their mother.

"I'm so sorry." Kim whispered and took the two kids in her arms, "We're here for you kids."

Antonio, Olinsky, Ruzek, Atwater and Platt did the same. Will and Natalie also approached the children. Both of them hugged them and promised to be there for them.

"Halstead. If you need help or rest for a few days, I can take the kids for you." Voight said. Halstead shook of his head. The children gave him a bit of comfort. He didn't want to send them away at the earliest opportunity. They had to somehow manage together through the difficult time.

After the funeral, the closest circle of friends gathered together in Voight's house. There was a small funeral service with cake, coffee and hot chocolate for the kids. Some colleagues of CPD, Firehouse 51 and Med came over. Thank God Bunny did not show up, neither at the funeral nor at the funeral service.

Halstead was surrounded by his colleagues and his brother, while the two children had withdrawn themselves from the crowd. They sat on a small wall in the back of the garden. They did not talk or play, they just kept silent.

"How are they?" Atwater asked, watching them from a distance.

"How should the kids feel?" Jay asked.

"Both of them need time, as do all of us." Antonio said.

Silently, Jay listened to the conversations of his friends and colleagues. They remembered the fun and beautiful moments back with Erin.

"Why were you never allowed to drive the car?" Kevin asked.

"I once forgot to put the handbrake on." Jay smiled lightly. Erin immediately took the car keys from him. She made it clear to him that women were clearly the better drivers.

"You really had a harmonious bond." Kim enthused.

"Do you remember the Taser training?" Ruzek asked. They laughed lightly.

At home, the three of them lay in the big bed. Zoey did not want to sleep alone and Zach just wanted to feel his father's closeness.

"Dad. What happens after death?" Zach asked, who had been puzzling for a long time.

"What do you think?"