Chapter 15

How important a home is, you become aware of when you suddenly have none.

A stormy ringing on the door made Antonio reluctant to get up from his comfortable position with Sylvie from the couch. He moaned annoyed as he opened the front door, "What's so impor..." he paused. In front of him stood two children, which he identified as the Halstead kids.

"Hey Uncle Toni. We need a place to stay." Zach said holding his sister by the hand.

"Yeah, sure. Come in." He said almost speechless and the kids walked in.

"Hey you two." Sylvie greeted the two, who quickly put on a T-shirt of Antonio, "Do you want something to eat or are you thirsty?"

"Oh yeah. Please." both said simultaneously. Sylvie and Antonio prepare a little snack for them. They stuffed the food inside themselves, as if they were starving at any moment.

"What brings you both to me? Can we help you?" Antonio asked softly.

"We don't want to go back to our foster family. We want to stay here." Zach said.

"So you've run away?" Antonio noted.

"Please Uncle Toni. You can't tell anyone that we are here." Zach begged.

"How long do you want to stay?" Sylvie asked.

"Not long, because we want daddy," Zoey said.

"The DCFS will notice that you two are gone. I can't hide you." Antonio said.

"Please, please, please. Only until everything calms down." Zach pleaded.

"How do you imagine that? The foster family will report you missing."

"Please Toni! Please! Help us." pleaded Zoey.

"Alright, under one condition. I want you to think about what you want to do with this. Think of your dad, how he feels when he finds out that you two are gone."

"Thanks Toni." Zach said.

"Yes, thank you, Uncle Toni." smiled Zoey and gave him a hug.

"Zach. You're not entirely innocent of this thing. For the slap you couldn't, I admit. But there are always two in an argument." Antonio said, alluding to the months of conflict.

CPDCPDCPD

"Halstead." Antonio greeted his colleague, who stood as a regular patrolman in front of the counter and got a new task assigned.

"Hey."

"I have a letter for you." Antonio said, squeezing it into Jay's hands.

Surprised, Jay read the address, 'Detective Halstead' was written with a scribbled child font.

Curiously, he opened the envelope and took out a leaf.

'Everything we want' was the headline, followed by 10 claims.

1. We do not want to go to a foster family!

2. We want a puppy!

3. We want pancakes for breakfast!

4. We want a pocket money increase!

5. We do not want a fight!

6. We do not want violence in the family!

7. We want our old daddy back!

8. We want to spend more time with our dad!

9. We want you to forgive us!

10. We want to be a family again!

Only when you accept the demands, we come home! - Zoey & Zach

Jay chuckled slightly sadly. The demands of the children were a matter of course. Platt lolled curiously at the scribbled letters. It was uncharacteristic for her, but she felt touched. She smiled with all her fascination and joy.

"Looks like you're in desperate need a few days off," Platt muttered.

Jay nodded hesitantly, "Yeah. Thanks sarge. "

"Who says I will release you?"

"I think so." Jay said.

"Whatever. An advice from me, Halstead. Take this chance. Who knows how many chances the children will give you." Platt said

"Antonio. How did you get the letter?" Jay asked irritated.

"He was given to me."

"So you met Zach?" Jay asked worriedly. Since the slap he never saw his son. He was not allowed to see him until the youth welfare office checked the circumstances. He is also not told where Zachary and Zoey were housed.

"Let's just put it this way, I was appointed liaison between you two."

"Is he okay?"

"Yes." Antonio said, and Jay nodded.

Flashback

"Zach, what are you doing here?" Jay wondered.

"Trudy told me where you are." He said.

"Homework done?" Erin asked, raising her eyebrow.

"Uhm. Yes." Zach answered and stepped closer to his parents, who remained between the shooting range and the side area. Jay was putting his gun into the holder. Actually, Zach was not allowed to stay in this area.

"May I also shoot? Please, daddy." Zach begged. Nervously, Jay looked at Erin.

"I don't know, buddy." He replied.

"Please, Mommy. Please, Daddy." Zach begged. Jay gave in and pulled his gun.

"Jay." Erin said tense.

"One shot is okay." Jay said.

"Zachary is far too young to pick up a gun."

"Er. We are both standing next to him."

"Jay. You can't resist our rules. We have agreed that the kids don't get in touch with weapons."

"Erin. Zach isn't criminal, just because of one shot."

"Please, Mommy." Zach begged with a pout.

"I'm not concerned that Zach could become criminal, but that Hank forbade it."

"Who are the parents of Zachary? We and I don't think a shot is tragic." Jay said.

"Okay. Zach, come here. Stand in front of me." Erin said.

Zach did as his mom said and stood in front of her while she put on her son's earmuffs and glasses.

"Here, put your index finger on the trigger and then you aim at the target," Erin said, "Do you have your target?" Zach nodded.

"If you are sure, you pull off."

Zach triggered the trigger without hesitation, whereupon a loud bang filled the silence.

Jay put his hands on his hips as Zach removed the earmuffs.

"Not bad. Did you somehow secretly practice?" Jay asked.

Zach laughed while Erin said, "Well, our son can shoot better than you."

"I practice diligently at home." Zach said and Erin ruffled her son's short brown hair.

"Yes, with foam guns." Jay said.

"Please don't forget that this is not a toy. Zachary," Erin added and Zach nodded in agreement.

-End of the Flashback-