Chapter Nine

A new case led Jay to go to a crime scene early in the morning. Patrol cars were scattered across the street, blocking the last few yards to a small friendly house. The mood was depressing and the faces of the other members grim and serious. Jay entered the living room of the house. A nasty smell came to meet him. Empty packaging and toys lay scattered everywhere.

"Oh my god." Adam almost caught his breath.

"I need to puke." Kim murmured and hurried out in a flash.

"Why would someone do that?" Antonio mumbled and knelt down.

Jay stepped forward slowly. Behind the couch lay four dead white children.

"The oldest child is 8 or 9 years old." Kevin stated in shock.

"And the youngest child was still a baby." Upton said, pointing to a small child covered in dried blood.

"They were all stabbed." Al whispered.

"Where are the parents of the kids?" Adam wondered.

"The mother is outside with the paramedics. She was on a business trip and found her children dead when she got home." Al explained.

Jay closed his eyes in disbelief and ran his hand through his face. Who was doing this? They were little innocent children, who had their whole life ahead of them. He hated this type of case. He hated these cases even before he became a father, but now with two kids such cases were terrible. He knew that he would again draw a parallel to his kids. Especially, since the victims were the same age as his own children. He didn't really know why these cases were the worst. Probably, because he worried too much about his own kids. It took a lot of effort to allow his eldest to go to friends from the neighborhood all by himself. At this moment he wanted nothing more than his wife at his side. She would stand next to him and gently hug him. She would just be there for him and he would be there for her. They would support each other.

While the forensics made photos and profiles of the bodies, Olinsky had joined Voight. The two men watched the work of their colleagues with impenetrable expressions. Even though this was nothing new and only one of many such cases in Chicago, murder cases with children would never been easy to bear.

"3 boys and a girl." Al sighed and shook his head. "Just so-" he snapped his fingers for clarification, "annihilated." Voight nodded affirmatively.

The case came very close to everyone, as it was unbelievable what had happened. For the next few hours and days, they worked hard on the murder motive, the murder weapon, and everything else that would help them solve the case. Finally, they made the cruel discovery. Everything seemed like the father had murdered his children, but it turned out not to be him. He had an alibi. It turned out to be the babysitter who was simply annoyed by the kids. Continuously a child kept asking for something else. The children supposedly would have complained constantly. The children's parents were both on business trips, each of them not knowing it about the other. Besides, the sitter believed she was badly paid. It was always her fault if the children broke something. She had simply lost control and stabbed one child after another.

CPDCPDCPD

After a few hard days, Jay grabbed a beer from the fridge and slid slowly to the floor. It felt like he was falling into a deep hole with its depth unknown. Inside, he felt a void. Indifferently, he stared into the half-darkened room. Since Erin was dead and the trusted babysitter quit because she wanted to start a family herself, he didn't care who took care of his little kids. The kids had scared off five babysitters in no time with the help of provocations and pranks. What if he had hired a babysitter just like their suspect? Would he have found his kids dead one day? He felt damn bad. The thought alone made him sick. He had hired the latest babysitter without a thorough background check. If he was being honest, he didn't even know the last two babysitters personally.