Chapter 13

In every life, the moment comes when you have to decide between what you need and what you want. And if you are lucky you will find the human who saves you.

"Good morning. My name is Susan Winter from DCFS. I want to talk to detective Halstead. It's about a private matter." her voice was gentle, but with a very decisive undertone that made Trudy Platt disapprove, raising an eyebrow. "Oh! Had I known the high attendance was due, I would have rolled out the red carpet." Platt growled sarcastically. Everyone at the precinct knew that they shouldn't t mess with Sergeant Platt, let alone talk to her like that.

"Please take me to detective Halstead. The occasion is anything but funny." she said sternly.

"Follow me." Platt muttered, escorting her up the stairs.

"Halstead. You have a visit-" before Platt finished speaking, she was interrupted by the lady. "Detective Halstead. My name is Susan Winter from DCFS. Do you have a moment?"

"Sure. What is it about?" Jay asked irritated and looked up from the computer.

"It's private."

Jay nodded and led her into the break room, drawing inquisitive glances from his colleagues.

"So. Mrs. Winter, why are you here?" Jay asked.

"I am here to inform you that your children, Zachary and Zoey, are being taken out of your guardianship."

"What? You can't do that!"

"Unfortunately, I can when a child is at risk. We have a statement that says you have hit your son."

"From whom do you have the statement?" Jay asked curiously.

"That's confidential I'm afraid."

"Listen. I love my kids. I would never endanger or hit them."

"The middle ear injury of Zachary Halstead was what exactly? Or the bruises on his face, arms and legs?" She asked skeptically.

"He was involved in a school brawl. Besides, my hand only slipped once. I didn't sleep well. The last days were stressful. Normally, I would never hit my son or daughter."

"But you have beaten your son several times, whose injuries may well have to be repaired surgically." she explained.

"Several times? It was ONE slap in the face!" Jay exclaimed. Desperately, he ran his hand through his hair.

"The injuries show something else. I'm sorry, Mr. Halstead, but your children are being placed in a foster home for the time being. We have to check the family circumstances."

"You can't do that. They both need their home."

"It's my job to protect children from violent or broken families."

"My family is neither violent nor shattered."

"Mr. Halstead, unfortunately we have heard something completely different."

"Can't they go to their uncle or grandfather?" Jay asked hopefully.

"As I said, we have to check the family circumstances. But you can apply for visitation rights. Goodbye." She said, put some forms on the table and disappeared down the stairs.

Jay took a deep breath and threw a chair into the corner. He had to let off some steam. His eyes fell on the pin board. More specifically, the family image of intelligence. It showed the Dawson family, the Olinsky family, Platt and Mouch, Voight, Kevin with his siblings, Kim and Adam and of course the Halstead family.

Flashback

It was a sunny, warm Sunday. They had all met with their families for a relaxing day at the beach.