Chapter 12

I was inspired by Chicago Fire 05x18 and Chicago PD 05x14. Let me know what do you think about this chapter.

A punch in the face. One kick into the stomach. Another blow to the face. A group of children circled around two students and cheered them on, "Fight! Fight Fight!"

"Hey you two! Apart!" a teacher shouted, trying to calm down a brown-haired boy who was furious at his classmate.

"Calm down!" He grabbed the boy's arm in annoyance, "What's your name?" He waited in vain for an answer, "Your name!"

"Zachary Halstead." he hissed as he wiped away the blood streaming from his nose.

"Well then Zachary, come with me."

Zachary did not have to wait too long in the school's secretariat. Soon after arriving he heard a door opening, and footsteps approaching . Within moments he was in front of him. His hands on his hips, Jay looked at his boy shocked. Gently, he lifted Zach's chin and looked at the injuries and scratch marks, "Hey. What happened?" he asked softly.

Quickly Zach pushed his father's hand away, crossed his arms and looked to the ground silently .

"I'm waiting for an explanation, Zachary. If I'm helping you, then I need to know what happened."

"It was nothing," he mumbled.

"Come on, out with it. Silence has never brought you anything." Jay waited strained for an answer, but before Zach spoke, they were called to the headmaster.

"Mr. Halstead. We don't tolerate violence at this school. Your son, Zachary, has unfortunately struck a classmate so hard that he is in the hospital now." With an aggravated look, Jay glared at his son as the headmaster continued, "The classmate will be fine. Fortunately, it was just a laceration on his head and a broken rib. However, I can't tolerate Zachary's behavior. I'm forced to suspend him for the rest of this week."

"A suspension? Is that really necessary? I mean, we don't know who started it. Maybe Zach fought back."

"Mr. Halstead or should I rather say detective Halstead? As a police officer, you should know that bodily harm is a crime."

"I understand your concerns and Zach will definitely not get away with it, but it was the first time. Detention should be enough."

"Didn't you receive our letters?" the headmaster asked with interest.

"Fuck." Zach murmured softly, but loud enough for Jay, who vouched for his son, "Of course, but considering the hard times, we should make an exception." Jay stammered, not knowing what the letters were about.

"Unfortunately we have looked away too often. My decision has been made. Zachary doesn't need to come back until next week." he said, rummaging in a drawer and handing Jay a letter, "I assume you don't know what we are talking about. Zachary disturbed lessons, his grades are bad, and recently he refused to respect the flag."

"I understand," Jay finally agreed with the headmaster.

CPDCPDCPD

"Can't I stay at home?" Zach moaned as Jay parked in front of the district.

"No. Honestly, I think you're missing a bit of rigor in parenting and as long as you don't tell me what was going on, you'll stay here."

"I couldn't help it that he couldn't defend himself." Zach muttered and trudged behind his father.

"You learn to box for self-defense and not to beat up your classmates." Jay hissed annoyed.

"Maybe that was a kind of self-defense."