Chapter 18

Jay took a deep breath as he parked. Since the funeral of his beloved wife, he has not been to the cemetery. He promised his kids. Zoey painted a picture for Mommy, which he laminated. The picture showed a small family. Father, mother, son and daughter. They were standing in front of a house. The sun was shining, the flowers blossomed, and a bright star was shining. In bright colors shone the words: For the best mommy in the world! We love you!

"Daddy can you carry me, please?" Zoey asked, stretching out her small arms. Jay picked up his little one. Running with crutches was not fun at all and what else do you have a strong dad for? Together, they approached the gravestone.

'Erin Lindsay Halstead - Beloved Daughter, Wife and Mother' was engraved in the tombstone.

Luckily the sun was shining and the ground was dry so Zoey could sit down in the grass. Zoey put the picture in front of the stone and Zach put down the flowers next to it.

Flashback

The first marriage quarrel between Jay and Erin is about the first word of the almost one-year-old Zoey.

"She will say mama! How many times should I tell you that?!" Erin hissed at her husband. Zoey squeaked in her lap as Erin began to rock her legs.

"She will say Daddy." Jay said, giving his fiancée an extremely angry look. "Or at least something like that. Don't you, Zoey? You are Daddy's little girl."

"Ph. Zoey, honey. It's enough if you notice mama." Erin said and pressed a kiss on the forehead of her little girl. Baby Zoey apparently found the situation hilarious as she chuckled and clapped her hands while her parents had a rather heated discussion about her first word.

"What was my first word?" Zach asked curiously and looked up from his toy car.

"Mama," Erin reported proudly, beaming over both ears to the annoyance of Jay.

Hank came by for dinner in the evening. He loves to spend time with his grandchildren. Zachary likes to play a role play. Often Jay or Hank had to play with him. Again and again, Zach emphasized that when he grows up he also wants to be a cop like his daddy.

"Grandpa Hank, you're arrested!" Zach chuckled, playing with the child's handcuffs in his hand.

"Ganpa." Zoey pleaded with her brother's words. Shocked, the young parents looked at each other.

"Great done Hank! Her first word was to become mama." Erin hissed at her father figure.

"You mean daddy." Jay improved his wife.

"Zachary did..." Hank wanted to save himself, but Erin was in a mad mood, "Oh no, Hank. Don't blame Zachary."

"Erin. Stay calm. She'll scream for you often enough." Hank laughed.

"The first word is something very special Hank. It strengthens the relationship." Erin explained

"That's why I feel honored by the little lady." Hank smiled and took the little Zoey on his lap.

End of the Flashback

Jay chuckled slightly at the memory. My god they had quarreled then only because of Zoey first word. In the end it was quite good that the little princess decided to dedicate her first word to her grandpa.

"I miss you, Mommy." Zoey mumbled, wiping away her tears.

"Mommy would be so proud of you two. You're really the best thing that ever happened to us." Jay smiled and kissed Zoey's cheek. He ruffled his son's short hair. The two giggled.

"It's time to go." Jay whispered. He did not look at his watch, but the fact that it was starting to dawn made him realize that they were here for at least an hour, if not longer.

"I want to stay with mommy." Zoey sniffed.

"Honey. We can come here more often, if you like."

Gently, she nodded and turned to the gravestone to say goodbye, "I love you mommy."

CPDCPDCPD

A few weeks passed. Zoey's leg was healed and normal family life without Erin took shape.

"Zachary. Please remember..." Jay said and was interrupted by his son, "Don't frighten any more Nannys. I promise you."

"Then everything is fine." Jay grinned and put his coffee cup into the sink.

"Are you there on time tonight?" Zach asked curiously.

"Sure. We'll watch the game together."

"Great."

In the afternoon, the new Nanny was traveling with the kids to a park. She was checked several times by Jay. Once again, he does not let strangers take care of his children.

"Ah, cute a puppy!" Zoey shouted enthusiastically and ran to a small dog, who lay alone under a dirty bank.

"He is so small." Zoey mumbled, hugging the dog to her.

"You are alone. Don't you have a home?" Zach asked, stroking the black dog.

"Who owns the dog?" Zoey asked.

"Looks like he's a stray." the nanny said.

"Then we'll take him with us." Zach said beaming. The dog had no collar and no brand. Without difficulty, Zach took the dog in his arms.

"I do not think your father agrees." The nanny tried to dissuade the children from the idea.

"He promised us a dog." Zoey said, pouting, "Please."

"Whatever. It's not my problem. "

"Thanks!" the kids grinned. Of course they are not stupid. They hid the puppy in a cozy corner in the basement.

CPDCPDCPD

"I thought we wanted to watch the Blackhawks game together." Jay said, sitting in front of the TV with a beer in his hand. He watched Zach walking between the living room, the kitchen, the store room, and the basement.

"Are you okay?" Jay asked wonderingly. This behavior was foreign to him.

"Everything's fine." Zach grinned and sat down next to his dad.

"What's there to see in the basement so interesting, huh?" Jay asked his daughter, who wanted to sneak into the cellar again.

"The atmosphere is nice." Zach answered, but Jay was already getting up to see for himself. Zoey quickly ran down the stairs and hid the little dog in a backpack.

"See, dad here is nothing. We only played a game." Zach said and took the backpack from Zoey.

"Something you hide from me." Jay said and at the same moment the backpack yelped briefly. Immediately did Zoey like she was coughing.

"What was that?" Jay asked curiously.

"Zoey coughed." Zach explained.

"It sounded more like a yelp."

"Dad. You already drank beer. It's logical that brain cells don't work that way anymore."

"Are you serious? You're not drunk because of one beer."

"You also have to take your age into consideration." Zach winked cheekily.

"I agree. Daddy, you are very old." Zoey said.

"Thanks honey for the wonderful compliment." Jay smiled sarcastically, "The other day I even discovered my first gray hair."

"Then I would think about it." Zach giggled.

"I'm tired." Zoey faked a yawn, grabbed the backpack in a flash and ran into her room.

"I'll find out what it is." Jay whispered to his son as he passed.