Prologue!

Prologue!

   It was May, and it was around the time of the year when my uncle came to visit. I was seven at the time, and before he arrived everything was perfectly normal. I woke up, helped my mother make her usual Sunday morning pancakes, and eventually went into my room to play dolls with Cass. But something about that day was different, but I was too late to notice.

     I stirred the pancake batter hard and fast as I filled with joy that my uncle was coming to town, finally. He comes twice every year for me and Cass’ birthday. But this time it was me, my birthday was today, and like every year, I was going to see him.

     “Rosalie, slow down,” urged my mommy walking towards me. She tightened her apron and sighed. She was probably as excited as I was- with just a hint of stress. Apparently turning eight is a big deal around here.

     “Do you think he’s almost here?” I asked, stirring harder. I haven’t seen him in what seems like forever, he used to be my best friend. Before I turned five, he would come over 24/7.  He would play in my sand-box with me, push me on the swings in our backyard, and even play dolls with me. But later, I found he liked my Mommy. My daddy was upset; I was sitting on the stairs listening to all the bad words he was saying to my uncle. My uncle left town the next day and moved to New Jersey, where’s he’s been living for the past three years.

     But since then, he’s had many girlfriends, and moved passed my mommy. My daddy said he could visit since it was my birthday. I hope he’s gotten past it too, it’s not like they did anything. My mommy would never do that.

     “I don’t know,” my mommy answered, and I wondered if she was lying. Maybe she hoped he wasn’t almost here, but I did.

    The door bell rang and I instantly looked up from the bowl filled with pancake batter. “He’s here!” I said with excitement.

    “You don’t know that,” my mommy said.

    “Who else could that be?” I asked, getting off the stool I was standing on to reach the bowl.

    “You father and sister,”

    “Yeah, but Mommy, they have the key.” I said to her, and ran towards the door. I couldn’t believe I was going to see him again. What if he looked different? What if I opened the door and thought it was someone else when it was him? What if he had a beard… one like Santa? Oh god no, my uncle would never. I gripped the doorknob and pulled it to open the door. I looked up with a smile.

     It was him.

    He looked the same, except for the wrinkles forming on his face. He had a stubble too, I like it. I wonder if it’s weird having hair on your face. “Uncle Kevin!” I said. I opened my arms wide, and he knelt down and hugged me.

    “Hey, kid.” He said. I hugged him tight and I never wanted to let go. But he eventually did. He stayed knelt down on the floor as he looked at me. “You’ve grown up.” He said with a shy smile.

    “I’m almost eight!” I said with a wide smile.

    “You’re such a beautiful girl, Rosalie. You know that, right?” He asked.

   “I guess,” I said with a shrugged, and he laughed. He put his hand on my head and moved it around to mess up my hair. “Ah!” I yelled in-between laughs. When he was done he still looked at me.

    “Nope, still beautiful,” he said. And I laughed. “What’s that?”

    “What?” He pointed to my missing tooth, in the front.