Chapter 3!

I closed the front door silently behind me. It was 2 a.m. and I was two hours past my curfew. After Gram left the girls and I continued playing truth or dare. No one mentioned jumping off a cliff again, but if they did I would have done it again. It was…thrilling and exciting to do it. It was a once in a lifetime experience I guess, because once I’m sobered up I’m never doing that again. We finished drinking all the beer and vodka bottles and threw them in the ocean once we were done. Some of the girls were smoking after a while but I wouldn’t budge. It didn’t matter to me if I was drunk or sober, I wasn’t smoking.

     Zoe drove me home (which wasn’t smart because we were both wasted) and we were both careful not to mention Austin or Gram. Zoe kept her eyes on the road, and boasted over the fact that we jumped off a cliff. She wouldn’t get over the fact of how exhilarating it was. But it was no longer my birthday, it was Tuesday. And I was still drunk, and busted.

    I walked over to the stairs slowly and stopped walking when the wooden floor creaked.

“Going somewhere?” I heard behind me and sighed. I was really busted now. I turned around slowly hoping it wasn’t my mom, but it would be no one else. I was left with nothing but disappointment when I turned around.

    “Nope,” I said with a cheesy smile. She was sitting on the couch with a book in her hand: Sweet Misfortune. She lowered her glasses to her nose with her index finger and peered at me.

    “Where have you been?” She asked in a stern voice, my mother never gets mad. But I could tell she was now.

     “Out,” I answered simply but we both knew that wouldn’t do.

     “With who, Gram?” A pinch of pain went through my chest as I remembered he left me on the pier.

    “No, Zoe and a couple other friends of hers,” I said, I was hoping she wouldn’t ask who because if I mentioned Lily I would never hear the end of it.

     “Where were you, I was worried?”

     “Out by the pier,” she looked up and down at me and walked towards me slowly. I hadn’t realized it before but my clothes were still wet. Not soaking wet, but they were diffidently still sticking to my skin.

    “You’re wet..?” she was inches away from me now. I was wondering when she’d put the pieces back together, but it seems like I may have to help her out with this one.

    “We were playing in the water, no big deal.” She quickly covered her mouth with her hand and gasped. “What… it’s just-“

     “Are you drunk?” That was the second time someone has asked me that today, or in the last twenty four hours, and both times they didn’t end well. “Rosalie!” She demanded. “I can’t believe you, you’re drunk aren’t you?”

    “No,” I lied, but we both know it was the truth. I didn’t know how to defend myself, there was no use. I was busted either way, my breath smelt of alcohol, and that’ the end of it. My head was starting to hurt which I hope was a sign that I was sobering up.

    “Go upstairs, now.”

    “Mom-“

     “Now, I can’t even look at you. Why? It’s not because of-“

    “Mother I said it isn’t! God, just let it go!”

    “Upstairs,” she demanded and I rolled my eyes. “Go,” I walked up the stairs, holding the railing tight so I wouldn’t trip over nothing and tumble down the stairs. Once I got into my room I sat on my bed and checked my phone. I had no messages from Gram. I bet he was pissed at me. And I’m going to regret it in the morning.