Chapter Three.

"Wait... You said a voice told you to help me?" I clarified slowly.

Logan nodded as he chewed a mouthful of food. "Does that sound like something I'd just make up for shits and giggles?"

I shook my head in response, severing a tiny piece of pancake with my plastic fork. I stabbed it, lifted it to my mouth, and chewed it slowly. "Was it a man's voice?"

Logan lifted his eyes to look at me for a second, seeming a little suspicious of my question. He had finished his pancakes, so he picked up a strip of bacon and crunched into it. "Mhm..."

I looked down and pushed the last few soggy pieces of pancake around on my plate, feeling bashful and anxious under his gaze. "Did he have an accent...? British...?"

This time, Logan sharply snapped his head up to look at me. His eyebrows were scrunched up, his lips slightly frowning. I could feel my cheeks warming in a rosie shade of pink.

"...Uh huh," He replied to me after a pause, "So you can read my mind too, huh?"

"No, but I think someone else out there can." I said to him, "...Both our minds."

"Wait, both our minds?" Logan asked as he set his plate down in the grass, "What are you talking about?"

"I, uh... I heard it, too..." I stammered as I bashfully glanced up at Logan, "It was talking to me while I was asleep... That's what woke me up."

"You're not fucking with me, are you?" Logan asked as his hazel eyes narrowed

"No, I really did hear it." I insisted seriously, "Whoever it was knew my name... Did he know yours?"

Logan stared at me for a few seconds before nodding slightly. He finished his bacon and set the now empty plate on the ground. Another breeze passed through again, and I was happy I had the leather jacket wrapped around me. I noticed the hairs on Logan's arms raise up from the chill.

"Yea... He knew my name." He muttered to me, "Told me things about myself that no one would ever be able to know..."

Logan paused and looked up at me.

"Then he started telling me about this girl... That I needed to find her, that she was this way, that way... Drove me nuts for weeks. When I sat next to you at that bar..."

He paused again and I found myself staring at him, the orange glow from the campfire illuminating his scruffy face and chizzled torso. I shifted in my chair a little bit as I focused on his words again.

"He just kept telling me 'there, follow her, don't let her leave'... I don't know why, but here you are."

My mind was baffled as I turned this new information over in my brain. He had been hearing this voice for weeks, and basically tracking me... And the same voice was talking to me, now? What the hell was going on?

"Whoever it was didn't speak to me until last night..." I spoke up quietly. "He just told me to stay here... That I was safe with you. I thought it was a dream, but..." My voice trailed off as I picked at a thread in Logan's jacket.

We were quiet for a minute or two, just staring into the fire. It crackled and popped in a lively way, and I could feel a little heat warming my bare legs.

"Well this is getting a little weird for me," Logan announced as he stood up, "I'm going back to bed. You shouldn't stay out here much longer, either."