Chapter 20

My phone vibrates inside of my leather purse as the car stops in front of a red traffic light. I take a look at the display before I pick up. It's Vicky calling me.

"Yeah?"

"Lola it's nice hearing your voice again, are you alright?"

"Yes I am." I respond. Colette looks at me before the light turns green.

"I was planning on getting my hair done today and I need some advice. Come with me." She tells on the other end.

"I can't."

"Why not?" Colette hits the gas pedal and I get pushed down in my seat. "Are you in a car?"

"Yeah."

"With whom?"

"A friend. Colette." I say even though she has no idea who she is.

"Colette? Who is that?"

"Adrien's sister." It's quiet for a brief moment.

"Oh. Sucks that you can't spend time with me." Her voice has a layer of annoyance, I'm not sure how her mood is right now, but I can imagine that she is a bit annoyed by the fact that we spend less time together. She should have seen it coming as soon as I started seeing Adrien, we already discussed this.

"I'll call you later."

"Whatever, have fun with your new friend."

"Vicky-"

"I'll go get my hair done, see you later... maybe." With that she hangs up, Colette already eyeing me with intuition.

"She's upset." She states.

"She's right. I feel like a bad friend."

"You aren't. Would you rather go with her?" Her question lingers in the air, before I answer.

"N-no. I mean, I would love to go with her, but I'm already spending time with you. Don't worry."

Colette pulls up in front of a big bridal store which is in the middle of the busy city. I could have sworn I passed this store with Adrien before, but I was too caught up in our "date" that I didn't really pay attention. We receive a few greetings from other bridesmaids inside.

"This is my brother's girlfriend the one I told you about."

"Lola?" I nod as one of the girls says my name.

"Wow how is it dating Adrien? No one had that privilege before." Another girl questions.

"She has been trying a couple of times but no luck." I redden in the middle of this awkward mess. How do I even respond to this question? Is this a rhetorical question?

"Anyways girls let's look for the dresses." Colette changes the subject as she seems to get uncomfortable too.

I sit down pushing the silver balls inside me further up. I can feel my muscles tightening as they begin weighting down. This is pure torture that will keep me from getting comfortable.

"Georgette!" I hear, automatically turning to where the girls are looking at. My eyes stop at a tall and lean woman behind me.

"Hello ladies. Sorry for being late I had a few things to do. Hello Lola." I can't manage to get a word out. I don't even know if I would insult her or greet her, my mind is in full defense mode already. "You don't mind if I sit here next to you?"

Yes.

"Of course not." I reply with animosity. Georgette smiles and puts her purse between us before she takes a seat.