Chapter 13

"Have you figured out what we must do?" I asked him as I pulled out my notes from the class. We are sitting in the living room of the big house with all the school papers we brought to try and finish the assignment we were given.

"According to my sloppy handwriting and some readable words, I think we must gather different bacteria samples and test them to know the difference between them."

"Are you sure? Bacteria?" I ask, questionable.

"If the big 'N' in the middle of my notes page is not bacteria, then I have no idea." he showed me his notes page.

"Bacteria it is then." I agreed after looking at the page and seeing it is indeed the symbol for bacteria.

"How many samples must we collect? Because we need to decide what kind of samples to get."

"At least five," I said in a disappointing voice, not looking forward to collecting it.

"I suggest something from the bathroom, outside, on a human, from an animal, and some wildcard."

"That's a plan. But can we do the bathroom one first and get it over with?"

"Fine. I'll get a plastic zip-lock bag and get started," Gregg said, leaving the room and heading towards the kitchen to find some plastic zip-lock bags. I stood up and headed for the bathroom. I search the room and decide that the toilet is probably the best to get the best result. Gregg joined me and passed me the plastic bag. I take it and swap the toilet seat with an earbud I found in the bathroom cupboard. I froze as soon as my hand went near the toilet seat.

"Do you need some help?" Gregg asks from behind. He is probably watching my every move.

"I'm fine. I'll just close my eyes while I do it so that it doesn't gross me out." I don't know what's going on with me. The toilet is not even that disgusting. It is cleaner than the toilet at home. I close my eyes, imagining pink candyfloss swirling around.

"Could you just swab the earbud?!" Gregg asks from behind, sounding a bit frustrated. I jerk my eyes open and realize I haven't moved an inch. I just looked at the toilet seat for no good reason.

"With the pace you're going, we'll be here all day. Give, let me do it." He said, grabbing the earbud from my hand and pushing past me to reach for the seat. He swabbed the toilet seat like he did every day and placed the earbud in the plastic bag. "See, was that so hard?" he asked and dangled the bag in front of my face. Before I could answer, he left the bathroom, and me standing there. I look down at the toilet with a confusing look. I might as well go now that I am here. I walked to the door and closed it shut behind me.

"Don't take too long!" a voice from the other side of the door shut.

***

"What are you doing out here?" Gregg's voice suddenly asks. I didn't even hear him come with me.

"I don't really know. Sometimes I kind of like just looking at the stars at night." I sat down and lay on my back, looking at the stars in the sky. I don't really know how the day passed by so quickly. I hear him do the same as he lies down next to me. I can't see any of the star formations in the sky I learned in school. It was silent for quite a long moment as I studied the stars above.

"Do you know-" my lips touched him for a split second as I turned in his direction. I moved away from it a little as soon as I realized it. He had been watching me and gave me a slight grin.

"Do you know any of the star formations?" I ask again, still a little rattled. He didn't reply. He went up on his elbow, leaned forward, and kissed my neck. He is the only one who knows my neck is the ticklish place on my body. It is kind of pleasing. He started going faster around my neck, and then I felt the tickle coming through as he went softer with his touch. I begin to giggle and try to push him away from me.