Chapter 16

The moment I heard the sound of high heels echoing on the restaurant floor as we made our way to the exit, I knew this was not the end of this conversation with Angie.

"Halley, I'm so sorry," she says as we enter the night. I spin around and see she is hot on our heels.

"What are you sorry for?" I ask, trying to keep the anger out of my voice.

"Just bursting in and invading your guys' personal space when you two had planned something romantic," she says as she walks closer.

"Then you could have seen we did not want to be disturbed," I say. I do not know why Angie is working on my nerves now, but she is. Every word coming out of her mouth sends a bitter taste down my throat.

"Halley, this is not the time for this," I hear Gregg say from beside me.

"What do you mean this is not the time for this? She came and ruined our night out together." I say, turning to my date. Gregg looks at me with an apology in his eyes.

I can feel the anger bubbling up inside of me. How dare Angie come into our private moment like this? She has no right. But then something clicks in my head, and I realize what she is trying to do.

"You're jealous," I say to her, finally understanding what is happening in her head. Anger turns to hurt as the realization sinks in.

"Halley, why would you think-"

"I am not going to listen to this. I'm leaving," I turn, running towards Gregg's car. I hear footsteps following me, but I do not care. All I want to do is get away from her.

As soon as I get to the car, I tug the door to open it, but the door does not budge. I tug it some more just because I can.

"Fuck," I say under my breath. I turned around to see where Gregg was so he could open the car, but the image I saw in the distance was not what I expected to see. My eyes start to sting as I can feel the tears start to well up in my eyes. It is not the time for tears. Maybe it is. I don't know. For me, someone who is in a relationship for the first time, I don't know if crying will help for the first time in a relationship. But all I can think about is the unshed tears at the back of my eyes, screaming to be released. I don't know why I am trying to fight them back, but eventually, I feel a tear escape my eye as it runs down my face.

I quickly look around to see what my options are. No busses are running this time at night, and the uber company is striking today. This is just great. My only other option is to walk home.

Gregg can go and fly back to Mauritius for I care. He might as well have been playing with my feelings this entire time. I must have known Gregg was not serious about us the moment he asked for my help with getting to know the mind of girls. All he wanted was an insight into how their mind worked, and then he would go after them and leave me behind. I know it might sound stupid of me. I might sound like a jealous person.

I fell in love with Gregg on our trip to Mauritius. I thought he loved me too. But now, looking back, it all seems so fake. Like a movie or a play that we were both in on, and neither of us knew how to get out of it.

I walk for what feels like hours, but in reality, I am only walking a few blocks. My feet hurt, and my eyes are blurry from the tears, but I do not care. All I want to do is get home and be alone.

#

Gregg has not stopped texting me. My phone has been going off since I arrived home about an hour ago. I ignore it, not wanting to see the messages. I want to be alone with my thoughts. I walk into my room and close the door behind me. I take a deep breath and let it out slowly. I am so tired. So tired of this whole thing. Of pretending to be something that I'm not. My heart is pounding hard in my chest, and all I can think about is how much better things would be if Gregg was not using me. If he just wanted to kiss me and move on.