Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I look over at the clock. It’s 8:30. I sit up and make way to my closet. I’ve never been on a date and I scour my closet for something to wear. I come across a dress. I don’t like dresses. I remove the hanger from the bar and stare at it in awe. A dark green dress with purple, blue, and yellow plaid I hold in my hands. It’s a halter dress with a small pocket on each side and it’s bunched together at the waist. I put it on and look in the mirror. My hair was dangling in a tangled mess. I go over to my bedside table and grab a brush. 8:48. it will take me some time to get to Morrisdale Park so I just pull half my hair up and curl what’s left at the bottom.

I look downstairs and the house is dark. Bean sees me and meows. I gesture her to be quiet and I know that she won’t shut up until I leave. I make a break for the door and she chasses me. She’s pawing at my leg so I pick her up and put my hand over her mouth. I grab some sandals and put her down, not giving her enough time to realize she can meow at me.

It will be worse when I get back. I put that out of my mind and walk slowly to the park. I swear the whole town is asleep and I’m glad Morrisdale Park isn’t close to any houses. I turn the corner and see Orvil standing there with a pink blossom flower. The trees behind him are covered in flowers just like this one. I walk up and try to grab it. He pulls away.

“Let me do it.” He puts the flower behind my ear and he smiles at me. He puts out his hand and I put mine is his. “I thought that we could go to the pond.”

“I’m sorry I’ve never been here before.”

“Even better.” We walk through the trees and eventually come upon a pond. I can see the stars reflect in the pool. There’s a small fire pit and some lawn chairs. He sits down in one and I sit in the other. The coals are still red and hot on my face. He starts blowing with no success. “Help me would you?”

I lean forward and blow with him. A warm flame catches and dances across the wood. And I sit back and relax.

“How’s your head?” Orvil asks

“Better,” I smile “but it aches and I feel like a lunatic with this bump on my forehead.”

“You look fine.” Orvil says. All this is happening so fast and I feel like I don’t know him. We just connected today. He has never shown any other interest in me. The thought sort of scares me but I let it overwhelm me and I turn it into a good thing.

“I feel like we don’t know each other.” It comes out of my mouth before I decide to say it.

“Okay Paralee. What’s your favourite colour?” he says. I smile, I am really starting to like Orvil.

“Light blue” I say “What’s yours?”

“Red. What’s your Favourite food?”

“That’s so easy its raspberry cheesecake!”

“Marshmallows,” he says and pulls out a large bag, two skewers, some chocolate and graham crackers. “Even better, smores.” I grin like a child. I had always loved smores. And with the whole prcess of cooking them in the fire. It brings back so many memories. I slide a marshmallow onto the skewer and put it over the fire. He does the same. I put my skewer over the fire and watch as it slowly browns. We both sit quietly but it feels nice. I'm distracted by a sudden combustion beside me. i look over and Orvil's marshmallow has caugth fire.

"No, oh gosh darnit!" he exclaims. He pulls the marshmallow away from the fire and gently puts the fire out. I chuckle a little, still looking at his messy blond hair and dark eyes. He was truly handsome. "Paralee, your marshallow!" Orvil says. I turn my head and my marshmallow is on fire. I squeak a little and put the fire out.