ten

Ryan's POV

When I woke up, I felt someone's arm draped over my body and I jumped. All I could think of was what happened the night before with Noah and I quickly pulled away, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Ryan, are you okay? Did I do something wrong?" Luke asked, in his raspy morning voice.

"Y-yeah, sorry I just..." I trailed off, unable to find a way to explain what I was feeling.

"You don't have to apologize, and you don't have to explain it to me if you don't want to." Luke gave me a sad smile.

"Thank you." I whispered under my breath, looking down so he wouldn't see the tears that were threatening to fall.

"You get ready, I'll make us some breakfast." He yawned, getting up and walking to the door. When Luke left, I quickly ran to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. When I finished, I turned around to go change but I caught a glance of myself in the mirror and turned to get a better look.

I hated what I saw. All I saw was a pathetic, weak, little girl. No wonder Noah thought he could do what he did.

A teardrop escaped from my eye and more quickly followed. My knees started to give out and I fell to the bathroom floor, a sob escaping my mouth. I curled up in a ball and broken down. I didn't even think—or care—about who would hear me. Right now, I just wanted everything to be over. I wanted it all to end. My pain, my sadness, my life. All of it.

Luke's POV

When I got downstairs, the kitchen was empty. I figured everyone was already at work, so I just rummaged around the kitchen to find everything I needed. My phone buzzed three times in my back pocket, and I pulled it out. I had two text messages: one from Calum and one from my boss, Jim. Shit, I forgot it was Monday and I needed to go to work.

From Jim
Hey Luke, are you coming in to work today?

I decided to quickly respond, hoping he wouldn't get pissed off that I didn't tell him.

To Jim
Hey Jim, I woke up with the flu this morning so I won't be coming. Sorry for the late notice.

I kind of felt bad that I was lying to him but I knew he wouldn't understand if I told him what the actual situation was. Besides, I don't know if Ryan would want me to tell him since it's her decision. In the end, it was just easier to lie. I decided to check the other message, from Calum.

From Calum
Hey is Ryan going into work today? Or are you going to stay with her? Hope she's okay.

To Calum
She's gonna spend the day at home. I'll stay with her.

When I sent the message, Calum quickly replied. He was probably bored at work.

From Calum
Okay, thanks mate.

I put my phone down and glanced at the time. 9:33am. I decided I should probably start on breakfast, if we wanted to go to police station today. When I pulled out the eggs, to start making pancakes, I heard a loud bang from upstairs. I instantly knew it was Ryan and I ran upstairs to make sure she was okay.

"Ryan?" I called down the hallway, slowly approaching her bathroom door from the hall. When I didn't get a response, I softly knocked on the door. I pressed my ear to the door and I could hear her crying loudly.

I slowly opened the door and I saw the beautiful girl curled up in a ball on the floor. I crouched down beside her and carefully placed my hand on her back, as not to startle her. She immediately looked up to me when she felt my touch, and started to cry even more. Her lip was quivering and tears were pouring out of her eyes. I decided to sit down on the ground and embrace her into my body. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her into my lap, holding on to her for dear life.

She cried into my chest for what felt like hours, but was probably only about thirty minutes. I didn't mind, though. I would do anything for this girl. When her sobs started to die down, I peaked my head down to meet her eyes. She wouldn't look at me though. I think she was ashamed, but she had absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

"Ryan, please look at me." I whispered. Her eyes slowly lifted up and made contact with mine. Her usually happy, sparkling eyes were now dull and sad. And at that moment, I saw the life drain from her eyes, even if she wasn't dead.

"What happened was not your fault." I said, quietly. I knew my words probably didn't mean much, but she needed to hear them.

"Then why do I feel like it is?" She whispered, more to herself than to me.

"Because everybody blames themselves, even if it was out of their control." I replied, hoping she would trust me when I said this. "You're beautiful, Ryan. You're smart and kind and absolutely amazing. You didn't deserve what happened to you at all. Please, don't blame yourself." I added, wiping a tear that was falling from her eye. She nodded, still looking at me.

I so badly wanted to kiss her, but I knew that would be crossing the line. Instead, I pulled her up and led her to her bedroom so she could get changed.

"Let me get you some clothes and then I'll make us some breakfast, okay?" I asked, walking over to pick something for her to wear. She nodded again, wiping her face from her tears. 

I ended up picking a pair of black leggings and a black Nike hoodie that I figured was Calum's

I ended up picking a pair of black leggings and a black Nike hoodie that I figured was Calum's. I also paired it with her black and white vans. It was casual, but I didn't think she felt like dressing up today. When I handed it to her, she nervously took it.

"Uh, do you mind stepping out of the room while I change?" Ryan nervously asked me. I felt like an idiot for letting her think I was gonna watch her change. I mentally slapped myself.

"Of course, of course. I wasn't going to—"

"I know." She cut me off, and I quickly scrambled out of the room.

Ryan's POV

When Luke left, I walked over to my full length mirror and I slowly took of my clothes. I looked at myself, naked, in the mirror for the first time since...

I had bruises and cuts all over my stomach, chest, thighs, and arms. I was completely embarrassed and ashamed of how I looked. I ran my fingers over all the marks on my body. Finally, I couldn't look at myself anymore and I threw on the clothes Luke left for me. I was thankful Luke was here. Without him, I don't know what I would do.

I heard a faint knock at the door and I realized it was probably Luke wondering what was taking so long. I went to open the door and saw Calum standing there with Luke behind him, giving me an apologetic look.

"Ry, please tell me what is going on."