Chapter 18: A War

So, for the fight at the end of the chapter, I wrote it using Mega Volt...or just Volt if you prefer. But I feel it lends better with Mega V.

Also, allow me to share an awesome piece of fanart from my lovely and amazing friend Luky. It's from Teamwork and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do: gp-luky . tumblr post/153053620900/here-is-a-fanart-of-this-wonderful-fanfic-from!

Now, time for Chapter 18!

Chapter 18

A War

If Serena was honest with herself, she felt truly afraid that morning, standing in the room. Before them was a giant screen that Clemont had hastily built together containing all of their battle strategies on the screen with Diantha right in front of it. Usually she knew that she had no time to think before things like this, often being tossed into battle just like that. This time was different. She knew it was coming, and the fear that gripped her heart felt so real. No matter how much confidence she had built up, it all fell away at the slightest prick.

Ash, standing next to her, grabbed her hand softly.

"No worries," he said with a smile. She turned to look at him warmly, feeling every small emotion through the touch of his fingers. Her face heated up a bit, remembering the night before, of staring at the stars, her promises to finish this for Reeree, and of resting next to Ash, her body against his. It was entirely innocent, no matter what Miette tried to insinuate (and she just shot back that there was something between the bluenette and Sawyer, even if it didn't wipe the laughter from her rival's voice). Either way, it was a nice gentle reminder of what she was going in and fighting for. "All of our friends are with us."

"Pika!" Pikachu agreed, nodding fervently.

"Right. Thanks, Ash," she said to him. Ash nodded and looked back towards Diantha. Serena observed him a moment, thinking and looking back fondly on the moment they had gotten together. Had she not made the choice to confess, would they still be standing together now? She liked to believe that they still would be, but she was unsure. After all, Reeree had chosen to stay by Ash's side forever, only to have him ripped so callously away from her and be used by her own father. It made Serena wonder if herfather was still out there, or if he had gone on to make the same choices as his counterpart.

It doesn't matter, Serena thought to herself as she began looking at all the trainers that had gathered over the last twenty-four hours. I'm making my choice to fight and stand together with Ash. Whatever comes, I have to accept that.

"The time is nigh," Diantha's voice finally said and Serena turned her attentions to the Champion, who was finally beginning to relay the battle plan that had been developed. "On screen you'll see our battle plan which is simple in nature. Our goal is shutting down the Weapon; destroying it if that needs to be the case. Either result is fine for the moment, but most importantly, we need to take down the remainder of The Seven and Michael. They're our ultimate goal, and they cannot escape, or else they'll wreak havoc on our world once more.

"To that end, we have a simple plan," she continued on, pointing to the simulation on the screen of just what they'd be doing. Serena leaned in, peering at the screen. On it were various diagrams that looked more confusing than the instructions which Diantha was giving. "We'll have five units: Left Unit, Right Unit, Advance Unit, Airborne Unit, and Medic Unit. Each unit will have very specific jobs to accomplish, but one thing that every single unit should be aware of is that they should expect combat. There is no doubt DARC will have their army of Pokémon as they have in previous battles. As Ash suggested yesterday, stick together in at least pairs at all times. Jack, if you would."