Chapter 24: A Conclusion

This is the final chapter. Not the end, mind you! Just the final chapter of this sprawling story. But first, let me thank everyone for helping this story to reach 400 reviews! I really love you all! And now, Chapter 24!

Chapter 24

A Conclusion

"Grace! Grace!" A loud knock sounded at the front door, drawing Grace away from the dishes she was washing. Ignoring the sound of her typically nosy neighbor's voice (which was harder than one would think in Vaniville Town), Grace finished sudsing up the dish before rinsing it thoroughly and placing it to drip dry. Wiping her hands on the towel, the brunette woman proceeded to the front door and opened it just a crack.

"Good afternoon to you as well, Mamie. What can I do for you?" Grace asked with a smile in her neighbor's direction. The woman's coiffed ginger hair jiggled a little on her head as she grinned. Grace smiled back, though could admit to feeling all too uncomfortable inside. Outside in the yard, Rhyhorn pawed at the ground in agitation while Fletchling perched on his horn and watched the guest at the door unblinking.

"Have you seen the news? Have you turned on the TV?" Mamie asked, her shrill voice feeling like it was piercing Grace's eardrum.

"Not since yesterday," Grace admitted, keeping her hand on the door, like she was ready to slam it into her face. "Before you ask, I have been following the progress on what happened outside Geosenge Town, though they haven't released many details."

"Oh, this is so much bigger than that, Grace, dear," Mamie waved off. Grace felt annoyance inside at the condescending tone the woman was using, but chose to pass it off with little more than a sigh. The door moved a little closer, though.

It wasn't that she disliked her neighbors, but some of them were far more gossipy than she cared for. Though sometimes she rather liked the gossip that trickled through the grapevine, mostly when her daughter was off on her adventures without any thought to call her or let her know precisely where she was. It was only because of her gossiping neighbors that she had learned of Serena taking part in the Kalos Team Tournament and the Peace Tournament. Not that she expected what happened shortly after both of those events and the League. As a mother it had her worried sick, until her daughter would call her up, just like she did yesterday to say that she was in Lumiose City. Grace considered making a trip down there to see her, but thought better of it.

"And what could be bigger than those events?" Grace asked with another tired sigh. Mamie bristled, as though she felt Grace should find the words she had to say so much more important.

"They've announced an event in Lumiose City to take place in two days. It's supposed to be only the biggest event of the year!" Mamie exclaimed. "I'm already buying tickets to the ceremony...or rather, my husband is. Oh, my apologies."

Grace raised an eyebrow at the woman's all-too-obvious "slip up". Nevertheless, she decided to indulge the woman a little further, opening her door to let the self-important woman inside the house. Mamie clutched her bag and waddled inside. She wasn't looking at Grace, who shook her head, making sure to turn over the opened envelope on the vestibule; there was no need for her to see that particular private information, adorned with a hibiscus and familiar cursive.

"Where's your remote, dear?" Mamie asked, almost like she didn't even want to touch the remote with her manicured hands. For someone who lived in a country town like Vaniville, the woman was surprisingly posh. Grace made no noise but bustled over to the living room and grabbed the remote, flicking on the TV. Some variety show reviewing that year's Showcases was on and Grace caught an image of her daughter at the Dendemille Showcase before she flicked to a more appropriate channel. "Ah, yes, here it is!"