ONE

He hears the sound of running footsteps behind him. Voices shouting. The wind of rapid movement as they catch up with him. Arms wrapping around him, pulling on his limbs. Warm bodies pressing against him. A familiar scent.

"Mom?" his voice croaks.

The grip on him tightens. His name is whispered against his skull. Lips brush his filthy hair.

"We were so worried" he hears his father's voice say from somewhere above him. Slowly the grip on him loosens and Daniel is able to properly see his parents. To see how they properly see him too. The state he's in.

After a heartbeat of silence his father inhales a shaky breath. "Thank God you're alright," he says, " where have you been?"

Looking from one concerned expression to another Daniel swallows.

"I don't know."

His mother starts shaking her head. "What do you mean you don't know? You were gone for two months!"

It takes a moment before he answers because he feels like he's letting her down. "I don't know," he whispers, "I don't remember."

"You disappeared!" his mother exclaims as if she still cannot believe it. She probably can't. His father places a hand on his mother's shoulder. Both of them look at him worried and confused. Expecting him to say more. Needing him to say more.

But he can't.

Then the arms are back, pulling him even closer than before. They feel warm. Familiar. Safe.

They feel like home.

**AUTHOR'S NOTE** This story is unedited and I'm posting it in it's raw first form, because my first goal is to finish it. After I do hopefully I can make it what I dream it to be. I hope that you'll bear with me as I try to tell this story as best I can. Thank you so much to anyone who gives any of my work a try. It means a lot to me. Feel free to leave a comment and if you enjoy my chapters please vote, it would help me out a lot :)  Much love!