TWO

Doctors can't find anything wrong with him. He is examined and tested, none of which Daniel likes, but for the sake of his parents he undergoes it without a single complaint.

The police take his statement and Daniel struggles as he gets to the points where his memory fails him. Which is basically at all the important parts. But the policeman questioning him is patient and doesn't push too much, for which Daniel is grateful. He feels guilty enough as it is.

His parents no longer ask him where's he's been or what happened. Daniel expects the psychologist he got assigned to saw to that. But his parents don't need to use words to convey their worry and questions and stress. It is evident in their behavior. In the way their eyes shoot away when Daniel looks in their direction, pretending they weren't looking at him all along. The way his father grabs his shoulder a bit too often, as if to check he's really there. And the forced smiles his mother throws at him, probably meant to make him feel better but doing the exact opposite.

Him being home again is nothing like it was before and Daniel doesn't know how to fix that. If he can fix it. Because the answer to the big question looming over the house, he can't provide. He simply doesn't remember where he's been, nor does he know why. Why he disappeared in the first place.

The fact he's having nightmares about it isn't helping either. Unsettling dreams keep him up at night. Dreams he doesn't want to think about, let alone talk about, no matter how much his psychologist is prodding him to.