can you hear me ~ day 5

As soon as I had gotten the call, I was immediately there as fast as I could be. Richie was moving!

They said a nurse was giving him his shots and what not and his 1 eye opened. I laughed thinking about the shock that she must've gotten from that.

I sat in the room while the doctor had explained that this was a good sign and he was showing progress of waking up soon.

As soon as she left I went up to Richie's bed and hugged him tightly, sniffing in the smell of cigarettes and whiskey that stuck to him. I saw Richie's eye move again.

"Good job baby! I'm so proud."

I said to him. He was making progress. I wasn't just going crazy.
——

When I drove home that night my mom started talking about what college I was going to pick. I actually hadn't thought about it before, all my days were now was richie richie richie.

"I'm thinking about taking a year off" I replied casually.

"A year off? A year doing what?! Watching richie?" The tone of her voice hit me like bricks.

"What would be so wrong if I did?" I asked, my temper slowly rising.

"Because he's not even conscious! He won't even know you were there in the first place!" She replied screaming at me.

I ran up to my room, slammed the door behind me and flopped on my bed.

Could he?